Recursive Equilibria In An Aiyagari‐Style Economy With Permanent Income Shocks
AbstractIn this paper, we prove the existence of a recursive competitive equilibrium (RCE) for an Aiyagari style economy with permanent income shocks and perpetual youth structure. We show that there exist equilibria where borrowing constraints are never binding. This allows us to establish a non-trivial lower bound on the equilibrium interest rate. To solve the individualâs problem, we present a new approach that uses lattices of consumption functions to deal with the non-compact state space and the unbounded utility function. The approach uses only the first order conditions of the problem (Euler equations). The proof is constructive and it serves as a theoretical foundation for the convergence of a policy function iteration procedure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 54 (2013)
Issue (Month): (08)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kuhn, Moritz, 2008. "Recursive equilibria in an Aiyagari style economy with permanent income shocks," MPRA Paper 32323, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 09 Dec 2009.
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huggett, Mark, 1993. "The risk-free rate in heterogeneous-agent incomplete-insurance economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(5-6), pages 953-969.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Kjetil Storesletten & Giovanni L. Violante, 2009.
"Consumption and Labor Supply with Partial Insurance: An Analytical Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
15257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heathcote, Jonathan & Storesletten, Kjetil & Violante, Giovanni L, 2007. "Consumption and Labour Supply with Partial Insurance: An Analytical Framework," CEPR Discussion Papers 6280, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Gianluca Violante & Jonathan Heathcote, 2007. "Consumption and Labor Supply with Partial Insurance: An Analytical Framework," 2007 Meeting Papers 913, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Kjetil Storesletten & Giovanni L. Violante, 2009. "Consumption and labor supply with partial insurance: an analytical framework," Staff Report 432, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Chris I. Telmer, 1991.
"Asset Pricing Puzzles and Incomplete Markets,"
806, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1994.
"Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-84, August.
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Samwick, Andrew A., 1997.
"The nature of precautionary wealth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 41-71, September.
- Jianjun Miao, 2004.
"Competitive Equilibria of Economies with a Continuum of Consumers and Aggregate Shocks,"
CEMA Working Papers
460, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Miao, Jianjun, 2006. "Competitive equilibria of economies with a continuum of consumers and aggregate shocks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 274-298, May.
- Jianjun Miao, 2003. "Competitive Equilibria of Economies with a Continuum of Consumers and Aggregate Shocks," Macroeconomics 0310001, EconWPA.
- John Stachurski & Cuong Le Van, 2004.
"Parametric continuity of stationary distributions,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b04059, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Cuong Le Van & John Stachurski, 2007. "Parametric continuity of stationary distributions," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00101157, HAL.
- Cuong Le Van & John Stachurski, 2006. "Parametric Continuity of Stationary Distributions," KIER Working Papers 616, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Cuong Le Van & John Stachurski, 2004. "Parametric Continuity of Stationary Distributions," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 899, The University of Melbourne.
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2011.
"Theoretical foundations of buffer stock saving,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2011/15, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christopher D. Carroll, 2009. "Theoretical Foundations of Buffer Stock Saving," 2009 Meeting Papers 210, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christopher Carroll, 2004. "Theoretical Foundations of Buffer Stock Saving," NBER Working Papers 10867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 2004. "Theoretical Foundations of Buffer Stock Saving," Economics Working Paper Archive 517, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Rabault, Guillaume, 2002. "When do borrowing constraints bind? Some new results on the income fluctuation problem," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 217-245, February.
- Coleman, Wilbur John, II, 1991.
"Equilibrium in a Production Economy with an Income Tax,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1091-1104, July.
- Wilbur John Coleman II, 1989. "Equilibrium in a production economy with an income tax," International Finance Discussion Papers 366, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tom Krebs, 2005.
"Job Displacement Risk and the Cost of Business Cycles,"
2005 Meeting Papers
188, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Tom Krebs, 2007. "Job Displacement Risk and the Cost of Business Cycles," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 664-686, June.
- Richard Blundell & Luigi Pistaferri & Ian Preston, 2004.
"Consumption inequality and partial insurance,"
IFS Working Papers
W04/28, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Constantinides,George & Duffie,Darrel, 1992.
"Asset pricing with heterogeneous consumers,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
381, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Miles S. Kimball, 1995.
"On the Concavity of the Consumption Function,"
- Krebs, Tom, 2004.
"Non-existence of recursive equilibria on compact state spaces when markets are incomplete,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 134-150, March.
- Tom Krebs, 2002. "Non-Existence of Recursive Equilibria on Compact State Spaces When Markets are Incomplete," Working Papers 2002-17, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Duffie, Darrell, et al, 1994. "Stationary Markov Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 745-81, July.
- Deaton, A., 1989.
"Saving And Liquidity Constraints,"
153, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Meghir, Costas & Pistaferri, Luigi, 2002.
"Income Variance Dynamics and Heterogeneity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edward J. Green, 1994. "Individual Level Randomness in a Nonatomic Population," GE, Growth, Math methods 9402001, EconWPA.
- Huggett, Mark & Ospina, Sandra, 2001. "Aggregate precautionary savings: when is the third derivative irrelevant?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 373-396, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.