Tobacco initiation, cessation, and change: evidence from Vietnam
AbstractStudies of the impact of tobacco prices on decisions to initiate and quit smoking have, to date, largely been restricted to developed countries. Such analyses, when set in developing countries, are complicated by the availability of a wide range of tobacco products that are nicotine substitutes for cigarettes. This study, which uses data from two rounds of the Vietnam Living Standards Survey in 1992-1993 and 1997-1998, finds evidence of substitution among tobacco products in response to changes in relative prices and points to the need for comprehensive tobacco-control strategies that are not restricted to cigarettes alone. We find that higher cigarette prices may not necessarily encourage quitting and may only divert cigarette smokers to rustic tobacco, which is potentially as harmful to human health as cigarettes. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Michael Grossman, 1996. "Price, Tobacco Control Policies and Youth Smoking," NBER Working Papers 5740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John A. Tauras & Frank J. Chaloupka, 1999. "Determinants of Smoking Cessation: An Analysis of Young Adult Men and Women," NBER Working Papers 7262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas, Stratford & Hariharan, Govind, 1994. "The hazard of starting smoking: Estimates from a split population duration model," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 213-230, July.
- Frank J. Chaloupka, 1990.
"Rational Addictive Behavior and Cigarette Smoking,"
NBER Working Papers
3268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chaloupka, Frank, 1991. "Rational Addictive Behavior and Cigarette Smoking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 722-42, August.
- Matthew C. Farrelly & Jeremy W. Bray & Terry Pechacek & Trevor Woollery, 2001. "Response by Adults to Increases in Cigarette Prices by Sociodemographic Characteristics," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(1), pages 156-165, July.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Kenneth E. Warner, 1999.
"The Economics of Smoking,"
NBER Working Papers
7047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984.
"Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981. "Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics 292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Philip DeCicca & Donald Kenkel & Alan Mathios, 2002. "Putting Out the Fires: Will Higher Taxes Reduce the Onset of Youth Smoking?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 144-169, February.
- Douglas, Stratford, 1998. "The Duration of the Smoking Habit," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Hideki Higashi & Khoa Truong & Jan Barendregt & Phuong Nguyen & Mai Vuong & Thuy Nguyen & Phuong Hoang & Angela Wallace & Tien Tran & Cuong Le & Christopher Doran, 2011. "Cost effectiveness of tobacco control policies in Vietnam," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 183-196, May.
- Cuong Viet Nguyen, 2012. "Demographic and Socio-economic Determinants of Smoking Behavior: Evidence from Vietnam," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2300-2312.
- G. Guindon, 2014. "The impact of tobacco prices on smoking onset in Vietnam: duration analyses of retrospective data," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 19-39, January.
- cuong, nguyen, 2010. "Smoking behavior in Vietnam: demographic and socioeconomic determinants," MPRA Paper 36516, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.