Investment decisions for country elevators
AbstractTrainload shipments of grain by elevators substantially reduce their transportation costs. However, many elevators must make investments upgrading their plant before they can ship in trainload movements. In this article, a logit model is developed which considers the investment decision for particular elevators in terms of the physical characteristics of the facility and firm attributes. The results suggest there are considerable differences across elevators in the likelihood of being targeted for investment and shipping grain in trainload movements.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 5 (1989)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Fuller & Kerry Litzenberg & Larry Makus & Hector Viscencio, 1986. "Upgrading grain elevators to facilitate multicar rail shipments," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(2), pages 247-263.
- Fuller, Stephen W. & Sorenson, L. Orlo & Johnson, Marc A. & Oehrtman, Robert L., 1981. "Alternative Wheat Collection And Transportation Systems For The Southern U.S. Plains," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 6(01), July.
- F. Larry Martin & D. Grant Devine & Surendra N. Kulshreshtha, 1978. "Centralized Prairie Grain Collection: Savings Related To Market Efficiency," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 26(2), pages 18-34, 07.
- Cobia, David W. & Wilson, William W. & Gunn, Steven P. & Coon, Randal C., 1986. "Pricing Systems of Trainloading Country Elevator Cooperatives," Agricultural Economics Reports 23182, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.