Spatial Competition and Ethanol Plant Location Decisions
AbstractThis article estimates factors that impact location decisions by new ethanol plants using logistic regression analysis and spatial correlation techniques. The results indicate that location decisions are impacted by the agricultural characteristics of a county, competition, and state-level subsidies. Spatial competition is particularly important. Existence of a competing ethanol plant reduces the likelihood of making a positive location decision and this impact decreases with distance. State-level subsidies are significant and a very important factor impacting ethanol location decisions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 28 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Other versions of this item:
- Sarmiento, Camilo & Wilson, William W., 2008. "Spatial Competition And Ethanol Plant Location Decisions," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6175, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sarmiento, Camilo & Wilson, William W., 2007. "Spatial Competition And Ethanol Plant Location Decisions," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 9236, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Camilo Sarmiento & William W. Wilson, 2005. "Spatial Modeling in Technology Adoption Decisions: The Case of Shuttle Train Elevators," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 1034-1045.
- Katchova, Ani L., 2011. "Are Local Corn Prices Affected by the Location of Ethanol Biorefineries?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114769, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Register, D. Lane & Lambert, Dayton M. & English, Burton C. & Jensen, Kimberly L. & Menard, R. Jamey & Wilcox, Michael D., 2012. "Geographical Analysis of US Green Sector Industry Concentration," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119742, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.