Marketing preferences of small-scale farmers in the context of new agrifood systems: a stated choice model
AbstractConsidering the dynamic changes in agrifood systems in developing countries, this study uses a stated choice model to explore the marketing preferences of small-scale producers of fresh fruits and vegetables in Honduras. Eight attributes, proposed in hypothetical contracts to farmers, are evaluated. The results suggest that farmers have strong marketing preferences associated with new supply chains, such as prearranging prices and quantities with buyers, but have remaining preferences for some attributes of traditional spot markets, such as the lack of grading produce, receiving cash payments, lack of delivery schedules, ability to sell at the farm gate, and ability to sell individually. Further, farmers prefer market channels that do not require major upfront investments. The results suggest that the traditional marketing preferences of farmers could impede participation of small-holders in emerging supply chains and take advantage of the potential opportunities that new agrifood supply chains can offer. [JEL Code: Q13 O14]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reardon, Thomas & Flores, Luis, 2006. "Viewpoint: "Customized competitiveness" strategies for horticultural exporters - Central America focus with lessons from and for other regions," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 483-503, December.
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Sukhpal Singh, 2002. "Multi-national corporations and agricultural development: a study of contract farming in the Indian Punjab," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 181-194.
- Peterson, H. Christopher & Wysocki, Allen F., 1998.
"Strategic Choice Along The Vertical Coordination Continuum,"
11651, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Peterson, H. Christopher & Wysocki, Allen F. & Harsh, Stephen B., 2001. "Strategic Choice Along The Vertical Coordination Continuum," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(02).
- Bartels, R. & Fiebig, D.G. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2003.
"Consumers and Experts: An Econometric Analysis of the Demand for Water Heaters,"
2003-26, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert Bartels & Denzil Fiebig & Arthur Soest, 2006. "Consumers and experts: an econometric analysis of the demand for water heaters," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 369-391, June.
- Holloway, Garth & Nicholson, Charles F. & Delgado, Christopher L. & Staal, Steven & Ehui, Simeon K., 1999. "Agroindustrialization through institutional innovation," MTID discussion papers 35, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rehber, Erkan, 2000. "Vertical Coordination In The Agro-Food Industry And Contract Farming: A Comparative Study Of Turkey And The Usa," Research Reports 25225, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Boehlje, Michael, 1996. "Industrialization of Agriculture: What are the Implications?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 11(1).
- Per Pinstrup-Andersen, 2002. "Food and Agricultural Policy for a Globalizing World: Preparing for the Future," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1201-1214.
- Hall, Jane & Fiebig, Denzil G. & King, Madeleine T. & Hossain, Ishrat & Louviere, Jordan J., 2006. "What influences participation in genetic carrier testing?: Results from a discrete choice experiment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 520-537, May.
- Wilson, Paul N., 2000. "Social Capital, Trust, And The Agribusiness Of Economics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Brian Roe & Thomas L. Sporleder & Betsy Belleville, 2004. "Hog Producer Preferences for Marketing Contract Attributes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 115-123.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Fairbairn, Brett, 2003. "The Role Of Farmers In The Future Economy," Miscellaneous Publications 31752, University of Saskatchewan, Centre for the Study of Co-operatives.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D. With contributions by-Name:Adamowicz,Wiktor, 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, November.
- Paggi, Mechel S. & Kennedy, P. Lynn & Yamazaki, Fumiko & Josling, Timothy E., 2005. "Regional Trade Agreements and Implications for US Agriculture: The Case of CAFTA-DR," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(2).
- Hope C. Michelson, 2013.
"Small Farmers, NGOs, and a Walmart World: Welfare Effects of Supermarkets Operating in Nicaragua,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 95(3), pages 628-649.
- Michelson, Hope C., 2012. "Small farmers, NGOs, and a Walmart World: Welfare effects of supermarkets operating in Nicaragua," MPRA Paper 42458, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michelson, Hope & Reardon, Thomas & Perez, Francisco Jose, 2010.
"Small Farmers and Big Retail: trade-offs of supplying supermarkets in Nicaragua,"
62124, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Michelson, Hope & Reardon, Thomas & Perez, Francisco, 2012. "Small Farmers and Big Retail: Trade-offs of Supplying Supermarkets in Nicaragua," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 342-354.
- Mailu, Stephen & Wachira, Ann, 2009. "The influence of prices on market participation decisions of indigenous poultry farmers in four districts of Eastern Province, Kenya," MPRA Paper 21312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Banterle, Alessandro & Carraresi, Laura & Cavaliere, Alessia, 2011. "Price Setting in Food SMEs: Which Role for Marketing Capability? An Empirical Analysis in Italy," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 122000, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Schipmann, Christin & Qaim, Matin, 2011. "Supply chain differentiation, contract agriculture, and farmers’ marketing preferences: the case of sweet pepper in Thailand," Discussion Papers 108349, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Schuster, Monica & Maertens, Miet, 2013. "Do private standards create exclusive supply chains? New evidence from the Peruvian asparagus export sector," Working Papers 146557, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centre for Agricultural and Food Economics.
- Atis, Ela & Miran, Bulent & Bektas, Zerrin & Ciftci, Kenan & Karabat, Selcuk, 2013. "An Analysis of Marketing Preferences of Sultana Producers in Turkey in Terms of Sustainable Market Power," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152136, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.