Negotiated transfer pricing: Theory and implications for value chains in agribusiness
AbstractIn this article, the author reviews the transfer pricing problem that occurs when trust, the structure of bargaining, relation-specific investment, and complementarities in organizational design affect trading relationships. A literature review focuses on negotiated transfer pricing in the context of both intra- and interfirm transactions. The author analyzes the strategic implications of transfer pricing for organizational design as a result of the imposition of strong informational assumptions without the explicit consideration of the complementary incentives in organizational design. The author review demonstrates that there are practical benefits from addressing these issues, and points to a number of directions for future analysis. [JEL classification: D82, L23, L15, L66] © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 23: 279-292, 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 23 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hueth, Brent & Marcoul, Philippe, 2003.
"An Essay on Cooperative Bargaining in U.S. Agricultural Markets,"
Staff General Research Papers
10234, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hueth Brent & Marcoul Philippe, 2003. "An Essay on Cooperative Bargaining in U.S. Agricultural Markets," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Ghosh, Dipankar, 2000. "Complementary arrangements of organizational factors and outcomes of negotiated transfer price," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 661-682, October.
- Ramon Casadesus-Masanell, 2004. "Trust in Agency," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 375-404, 09.
- John R. Schroeter & Azzeddine M. Azzam, & Mingxia Zhang, 2000.
"Measuring Market Power in Bilateral Oligopoly: The Wholesale Market for Beef,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 526-547, January.
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M. & Zhang, Mingxia, 2000. "Measuring Market Power in Bilateral Oligopoly: The Wholesale Market for Beef," Staff General Research Papers 1777, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Darby, Michael R & Karni, Edi, 1973. "Free Competition and the Optimal Amount of Fraud," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 67-88, April.
- MacDonald, James M. & Perry, Janet E. & Ahearn, Mary Clare & Banker, David E. & Chambers, William & Dimitri, Carolyn & Key, Nigel D. & Nelson, Kenneth E. & Southard, Leland W., 2004. "Contracts, Markets, and Prices: Organizing the Production and Use of Agricultural Commodities," Agricultural Economics Reports 34013, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan, 1999.
"Producer Price Risk and Quality Measurement,"
Staff General Research Papers
5037, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Steiner, Bodo, 2006. "Governance Reform of German food safety regulation: Cosmetic or real?," MPRA Paper 26252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eckel, Catherine C. & Wilson, Rick K., 2004. "Is trust a risky decision?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 447-465, December.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Schrader, Lee F., 1980. "Formula Pricing in Five Commodity Marketing Systems," Staff General Research Papers 11303, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Steiner, Bodo E., 2007. "Formal beef alliances and alignment challenges: issues in contracting, pricing and quality," Project Report Series 7709, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Steiner, Bodo E. & Lan, Kevin & Unterschultz, James R. & Boxall, Peter C. & Laate, Emmanuel & Yang, Danyi, 2012. "Producer preferences towards vertical coordination: The case of Canadian beef alliances," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122441, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.