National brands and store brands: Competition through public quality labels
AbstractIn this article the authors study one aspect of the proliferation of quality labels in the agro-food sector: the coexistence of two signs on one same product and its consequences on the value of each sign. The context is that of the competition between national brands and private labels on a certain number of goods carrying a public quality label. The authors show that the value of a sign decreases when it is combined with another one on the same product. This result is verified for six products involving four quality labels. This allows for an interpretation of retailers' strategy concerning their private labels. [EconLit Classification: D120]. © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 22: 21-30, 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 22 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanjay K. Dhar & Stephen J. Hoch, 1997. "Why Store Brand Penetration Varies by Retailer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(3), pages 208-227.
- Staahl Gabrielsen, T. & Sorgard, L., 2000.
"Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy,"
8/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2000. "Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt8wh900ks, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Jagmohan S. Raju & Raj Sethuraman & Sanjay K. Dhar, 1995. "The Introduction and Performance of Store Brands," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(6), pages 957-978, June.
- Bergès-Sennou Fabian & Bontems Philippe & Réquillart Vincent, 2004. "Economics of Private Labels: A Survey of Literature," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, February.
- André Bonfrer & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 2004. "Store Brands: Who Buys Them and What Happens to Retail Prices When They Are Introduced?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 195-218, 03.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
- Mills, David E, 1995. "Why Retailers Sell Private Labels," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 509-28, Fall.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2012.
"Quality Labels and Firm Survival in the French Cheese Industry,"
IDEI Working Papers
741, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Simioni, Michel, 2012. "Quality Labels and Firm Survival in the French Cheese Industry," TSE Working Papers 12-335, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Marette, Stephan, 2011. "Globalization Issues and Consumers’ Purchase Decisions for Food Products: Evidence from a Lab Experiment," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114439, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Lamprinopoulou, Chrysa & Leat, Philip M.K. & Kupiec-Teahan, Beata & Toma, Luiza & Cacciolatti, Luca, 2009.
"How differentiated is the Scottish Beef? An Analysis of Supermarket Data Panel,"
113th Seminar, September 3-6, 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece
58118, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Lamprinopoulou, Chrysa & Leat, Philip M.K. & Kupiec-Teahan, Beata & Toma, Luiza & Cacciolatti, Luca, 2009. "How Differentiated Is The Scottish Beef? An Analysis Of Supermarket Data Panel," Working Papers 109392, Scottish Agricultural College, Land Economy Research Group.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Lamprinopoulou, Chrysa & Leat, Philip M.K. & Kupiec-Teahan, Beata & Toma, Luiza & Cacciolatti, Luca, 2009. "How Differentiated Is The Scottish Beef? An Analysis Of Supermarket Data Panel," Working Papers 109392, Scotland's Rural College (formerly Scottish Agricultural College), Land Economy & Environment Research Group.
- Larceneux, Fabrice & Renaudin, Valérie, 2010. "Une analyse de l’efficacité des stratégies de labellisation pour les marques des enseignes," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5974, Paris Dauphine University.
- Abhishek & Koshy, Abraham, . "Quality Perceptions of Private Label Brands: Conceptual Framework and Agenda for Research," IIMA Working Papers WP2008-02-04, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Cembalo Luigi & Cicia Gianni & Del Giudice Teresa & Scarpa Riccardo & Tagliafierro Carolina, 2008. "Beyond agropiracy : the case of italian pasta in the United States retail market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(3), pages 403-413.
- Satimanon, Thasanee & Weatherspoon, Dave D., 2010. "Hedonic Analysis of Sustainable Food Products," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 13(4).
- Deselnicu, Oana C. & Costanigro, Marco & Souza-Monteiro, Diogo M. & McFadden, Dawn Thilmany, 2013. "A Meta-Analysis of Geographical Indication Food Valuation Studies: What Drives the Premium for Origin-Based Labels?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
- Resano, Helena & Sanjuán, Ana I. & Albisu, Luis M., 2012. "Consumers’ response to the EU Quality policy allowing for heterogeneous preferences," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 355-365.
- Cembalo, Luigi & Cicia, Gianni & Del Giudice, Teresa & Scarpa, Riccardo & Tagliafierro, Carolina, 2007. "Ecological characteristics and new competitiveness strategies in fresh vegetables market," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7875, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dentoni, Domenico & Menozzi, Davide & Capelli, Maria Giacinta, 2010. "Heterogeneity of Members’ Characteristics and Cooperation within Producer Groups Regulating Geographical Indications: The Case of the “Prosciutto di Parma” Consortium," 116th Seminar, October 27-30, 2010, Parma, Italy 95203, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.