NAFTA intra-industry trade in agricultural food products
AbstractThis paper focuses on NAFTA's impact on intra-industry and inter-industry trade in agricultural food products. Bilateral trade among the United States, Canada, and Mexico and their trade with the rest of the world during 1990 and 1995 are investigated. The study shows that U.S. trade patterns for agricultural food products are slowly changing. The proportion of the intra-industry trade was higher for food products involving a greater degree of processing, whereas trade in bulk commodities with little or no processing was predominantly inter-industry. U.S.-Canada bilateral trade has been increasingly more dominated by intra-industry trade. On the other hand, Mexican bilateral trade with both the United States and Canada has been predominantly inter-industry in nature. The study also indicated a decline in the proportion of intra-industry trade in U.S. trade with the rest of the world during this period. [EconLit citations: F120, F190]. © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Other versions of this item:
- Qasmi, Bashir A. & Fausti, Scott W., 1999. "Nafta Intra Industry Trade In Agricultural Food Products," 1999 Annual Meeting, July 11-14, 1999, Fargo, ND 35689, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980.
"A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade,"
405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983. "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," Working Papers 513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris, 1984. "A cross section analysis of intra-industry trade in the U.K," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 319-344, August.
- Roberts, Donna, 1995. "Intra-Industry Trade In Agricultural Products In The Western Hemisphere: Preliminary Evidence And Implications For Economic Integration," Working Papers 51219, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Klein, Lawrence R. & Salvatore, Dominick, 1995. "Welfare effects of the North American free trade agreement," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 163-176, April.
- Glejser, H. & Goossens, K. & Vanden Eede, M., 1982. "Inter-industry versus intra-industry specialization in exports and imports (1959-1970-1973)," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 363-369, May.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- H. Gray, 1973. "Two-Way international trade in manufactures: A theoretical underpinning," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 109(1), pages 19-39, March.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1981. "International trade in the presence of product differentiation, economies of scale and monopolistic competition : A Chamberlin-Heckscher-Ohlin approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-340, August.
- Doan, Darcie & Goldstein, Andrew & Zahniser, Steven & Vollrath, Thomas L. & Bolling, H. Christine, 2004. "North American Integration In Agriculture: A Survey Paper," North American Agrifood Integration: Situation and Perspectives, May 2004, Cancun, Mexico 16730, Farm Foundation.
- Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2000. "Impact Of Gatt In The Functioning Of Agricultural Markets: An Examination Of Market Integration And Efficiency In The World Beef And Wheat Market Under The Pre-Gatt And Post-Gatt Regimes," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21868, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pérez Mesa, Juan & De Pablo Valenciano, Jaime(*), 2007. "Caracterización del comercio internacional de frutas y hortalizas en la Unión Europea/Characterization of Fruit and Vegetables Trade in the European Union," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 25, pages 619-642, Diciembre.
- Imre Ferto & Lionel J. Hubbard, 2001. "Intra-Industry Trade in Agri-Food Products between Hungary and EU," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0106, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Ferto, Imre & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2001. "Intra-Industry Trade In Agri-Food Products Between Hungary And The Eu," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20450, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- H.S. Rohitha Rosairo & Tamotsu Kawamura & T.L.G. Sanjeewani Peiris, 2004. "The coir fiber industry in Sri Lanka: Reasons for its decline and possible turnaround strategies," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 495-516.
- Fertő, Imre & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2001.
"A mezőgazdasági termékek ágazaton belüli kereskedelme. Magyarország és az Európai Unió között
[Intra-industry trade in agricultural products between Hungary and the European Union]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(9), pages 766-778.
- Bojnec, Štefan & Hartmann, Monika, 2004. "Agricultural and food trade in Central and Eastern Europe: the case of Slovenian intra-industry trade," IAMO Discussion Papers 65, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Banterle, Alessandro & Carraresi, Laura, 2006. "International trade and competitiveness analysis in the European Union: the case of prepared meat sector," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10058, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ferto, Imre, 2006. "Reconsidering Adjustment Costs of the Association Agreement. The Case of Hungarian Food Industry," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21037, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Doan, Darcie & Goldstein, Andrew & Zahniser, Steven & Vollrath, Tom & Bolling, Chris, 2005. "North American Integration in Agriculture: A Survey," 2004 NAAMIC Workshop I: North American Agrifood Market Integration: Current Situtation and Perspectives 163851, North American Agrifood Market Integration Consortium (NAAMIC).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.