Export demand for U.S. pecans: Impacts of U.S. export promotion programs
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to estimate the impact of the major factors affecting the export demand for U.S. pecans in Asia and the E.U. which together import about 27% of U.S. pecan exports. The primary objective pertained to the impacts of federal promotion programs on the foreign demand for U.S. pecans. Based on previous literature, a single-equation framework was specified for estimation of the pecan model. Based on promotion elasticities, impacts on pecan export revenue from promotion were evaluated. The returns per dollar of promotion expenditure for pecans were $6.45 for Asia and $6.75 for the E.U. Further, some spill-over benefits for pecan exports were detected from almond export promotion in Asia and walnut export promotion in the E.U. It appears that the U.S. pecan industry can benefit substantially from increased export promotion in both Asia and the E.U. [L660, Q130, Q170]. © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irving Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1974.
"International Trade Prices and Price Proxies,"
in: The Role Of The Computer In Economic And Social Research in Latin America, pages 253-268
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiells, Clinton R, 1991. "Errors in Import-Demand Estimates Based upon Unit-Value Indexes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 378-82, May.
- C. P. Rosson & M. D. Hammig & J. W. Jones, 1986. "Foreign market promotion programs: An analysis of promotion response for apples, poultry, and tobacco," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 33-42.
- Binkley, James K, 1981. "The Relationship between Elasticity and Least Squares Bias," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 307-09, May.
- Comeau, Allison & Mittelhammer, Ronald C. & Wahl, Thomas I., 1997. "Assessing The Effectiveness Of Mpp And Tea Advertising And Promotion Efforts In The Japanese Market For Meats," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(2), July.
- Laxmi Paudel & Murali Adhikari & Jack E. Houston & Henry W. Kinnucan, 2004. "Assessing the efficiency of exchange rate-linked subsidies (ERLS) for non-price export promotion: The case of cotton," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 481-493.
- Pimbucha Rusmevichientong & Harry M. Kaiser, 2009. "Measuring the effectiveness of U.S. rice export promotion programs," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 215-230.
- Adhikari, Murali & Paudel, Laxmi & Houston, Jack E. & Paudel, Biswo Nath, 2003. "Measuring the Impacts of US Export Promotion Program for Wheat in Selected Importing Regions," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35161, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Paudel, Laxmi & Adhikari, Murali & Houston, Jack E. & Kinnucan, Henry W., 2002. "Assessing The Efficiency Of Exchange Rate-Linked Subsidies For Non-Price Export Promotion: The Case Of Cotton," Faculty Series 16658, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Moore, Eli D. & Williams, Gary W., 2008. "Is the Texas Pecan Checkoff Program Working?," Reports 90497, Texas A&M University, Agribusiness, Food, and Consumer Economics Research Center.
- Nogueira, Lia & Chouinard, Hayley H., 2006. "The Effects of Reducing Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Barriers to Trade on the Washington State Apple Industry," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21433, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Freixanet, Joan, 2012. "Export promotion programs: Their impact on companies’ internationalization performance and competitiveness," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1065-1086.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.