A discrete|continuous model of fruit promotion, advertising, and response segmentation
AbstractCommodity marketing managers are demanding an increasingly detailed description of their customers in order to make more efficient use of their marketing budgets. This study uses a purchase-occasion, household panel data set to investigate consumers' discrete choice among varieties of apples and their continuous decision of how much to buy. We segment households based on their elasticities of response to several marketing variables: price, promotion, and advertising using a k-means clustering algorithm. Describing each of these segments according to their demographic attributes provides the type of information required to target particular groups of similar consumers, which in turn allows for a much more effective and efficient use of scarce marketing dollars. © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Selvanathan, E. Antony, 1989. "Advertising and consumer demand: a differential approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 215-219, December.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1993. "Investigating Purchase Incidence, Brand Choice and Purchase Quantity Decisions of Households," Marketing Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 12(2), pages 184-208.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Seo, Seong-Cheon & Nichols, John P., 1997. "On The Estimation Of Advertising Effects For Branded Products: An Application To Spaghetti Sauces," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Timothy J. Richards & Pieter. Van Ispelen & Albert Kagan, 1997. "A Two-Stage Analysis of the Effectiveness of Promotion Programs for U.S. Apples," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 825-837.
- Lakshman Krishnamurthi & S. P. Raj, 1991. "An Empirical Analysis of the Relationship Between Brand Loyalty and Consumer Price Elasticity," Marketing Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 10(2), pages 172-183.
- Myrland, Oystein & Dong, Diansheng & Kaiser, Harry M., 2003. "Price and Quality Effects of Generic Advertising: The Case of Norwegian Salmon," Research Bulletins, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management 122112, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Diansheng Dong & Harry M. Kaiser, 2010. "Investigating household food interpurchase behavior through market segmentation," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(3), pages 389-404.
- Dong, Diansheng & Kaiser, Harry M., 2006. "Investigating Coupon Effects on Household Interpurchase Behavior for Cheese," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) 21314, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Øystein Myrland & Diansheng Dong & Harry M. Kaiser, 2007. "Quantity versus quality effects of generic advertising: The case of Norwegian salmon," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(1), pages 85-100.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.