Producer prices in cotton markets: Evaluation of reported price information accuracy
AbstractThis study evaluates the accuracy of the US Department of Agriculture's Daily Spot Cotton Quotations (DSCQ) in reporting producer prices in the Texas-Oklahoma cotton production regions. Analysis of price levels and movements suggests that the DSCQ tend to overstate estimated producer prices for base quality, overstate quality discounts, and understate producer quality premiums in relation to hedonic measurement of prices. The DSCQ also did not move with the hedonic prices on a daily basis, but tended to lag the hedonic prices over longer periods. These lead-lag relationships did not appear consistent over qualities, regions, or years. © 1996 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 12 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Brown, Jeff E. & Ethridge, Don E. & Hudson, Darren & Engels, Carlos, 1995. "An Automated Econometric Approach For Estimating And Reporting Daily Cotton Market Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Brown, Jeff E. & Ethridge, Don E., 1995. "Functional Form Model Specification: An Application To Hedonic Pricing," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 24(2), October.
- Bennett, Blake K. & Misra, Sukant K., 1997. "Minimizing Farm-To-Mill Cotton Cleaning Cost," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- MacDonald, Stephen & Naik, Gopal & Landes, Rip, 2010. "Markets, Institutions, and the Quality of Agricultural Products: Cotton Quality in India," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61854, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Darren Hudson & Emmett Elam & Don Ethridge & Jeff Brown, 1996. "Price information in Producer markets: An evaluation of futures and spot cotton price relationships in the southwest region using cointegration," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 363-369.
- Hudson, Darren & Jones, Tom, 2001. "Willingness To Plant Identity Preserved Crops: The Case Of Mississippi Soybeans," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(03), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.