Packer sorting strategies for fresh pork
AbstractCharacteristics of pork packing firms pursuing a competitive strategy of product differentiation are described. Such a strategy requires a consistent, highquality raw material. Three strategies to sort pork carcasses and primal cuts in the packing plant are detailed. A multivariate simulation replicated two distributions (based upon genetics) of hogs that a focus-differentiation packer might purchase: an average industry distribution and a lean, more uniform distribution. The results indicated that the leaner distribution had more loins and hams within the packer's desired weight range which provides an economic incentive to focus-differentiation packers for procuring leaner hogs. © 1995 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 11 (1995)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen G. Sapp & C. Lynn Knipe, 1990. "Japanese consumer preferences for processed pork," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 387-400.
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Salvador, Antonio & Knipe, Dar & Kendall, Elaine, 2002. "Structural Change Or Logical Incrementalism? Turbulence In The Global Meat System," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19704, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Akridge, Jay T. & Boland, Michael A. & Mauney, Sean & Forrest, John C., 1998. "Performance Of Alternative Component Pricing Systems For Pork," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.