The Chinese Healthcare System: Structure, Problems and Challenges
AbstractWe describe the structure and present situation of the Chinese healthcare system and discuss its primary problems and challenges. We discuss problems with inefficient burden sharing, adverse provider incentives and huge inequities, and seek explanations in the structural features of the Chinese healthcare system. The current situation will be further challenged in the future by an aging population, an increasing need for privatization and growing expectations about quality of healthcare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer Healthcare | Adis in its journal Applied Health Economics and Health Policy.
Volume (Year): 9 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://healtheconomics.adisonline.com/
Other versions of this item:
- Jens Leth Hougaard & Lars Peter Østerdal & Yi Yu, 2008. "The Chinese Health Care System: Structure, Problems and Challenges," Discussion Papers 08-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods
- D - Microeconomics
- I - Health, Education, and Welfare
- Z - Other Special Topics
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
- I19 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Other
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nuo Wang & Christian Gericke & Huixin Sun, 2009. "Comparison of health care financing schemes before and after market reforms in China’s urban areas," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 173-191, June.
- Juergen Jung & Jialu Liu, 2011. "Does Health Insurance Decrease Health Expenditure Risk in Developing Countries? The Case of China," Working Papers 2011-04, Towson University, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2012.
- Ng, Ying Chu, 2011. "The productive efficiency of Chinese hospitals," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 428-439, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dave Dustin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.