Does Globalization Lead to a Rat Race of National Labor-Market Institutions?
AbstractSince just around 30 years we observe that the laborâ€™s share of the national income decreases in most countries. In this paper, we introduce an endogenous overlapping generation growth model with an institutional setting of the labor market to show that the changes of the labor-market institutions are one main reason for the decrease of the laborâ€™s share. These changes are mainly caused by the increasing globalization resulting in open capital markets and as a consequence in a competition between countries with respect to the labor-market institutions. In the long run, all will suffer. The only ways to stop this rat race are capital controls or international agreements on the labormarket institutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia in its journal Panoeconomicus.
Volume (Year): 60 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.panoeconomicus.rs/
Endogenous growth; Open economies; Laborâ€™s share; Labor market institutions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F59 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - Other
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao & Ostry, Jonathan, 1996.
"Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison,"
6978, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masao Ogaki & Jonathan D. Ostry & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 38-71, March.
- Stergios Skaperdas, 1996.
"Contest success functions (*),"
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 283-290.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1981.
"Time Preference and International Lending and Borrowing in an Overlapping-Generations Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 769-97, August.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1979. "Time Preference and International Lending and Borrowing in an Overlapping-Generations Model," NBER Working Papers 0352, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Sergio T. Rebelo, 1990.
"Long Run Policy Analysis and Long Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tadija Tadić, 2006. "The Globalization Debate: The Globalists," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 53(1), pages 51-63, March.
- Tadija Tadić, 2006. "The Globalization Debate: The Sceptics," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 53(2), pages 179-190, June.
- Harrison, Ann E & Leamer, Edward, 1997. "Labor Markets in Developing Countries: An Agenda for Research," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(3), pages S1-19, July.
- Nicole Attia & Valérie Bérenger, 2009. "European Integration and Social Convergence: A Qualitative Appraisal," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(1), pages 3-19, March.
- Jack Hirshleifer, 1989. "Conflict and rent-seeking success functions: Ratio vs. difference models of relative success," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 101-112, November.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ostry, Jonathan, 1995. "Saving and real interest rates in developing countries," MPRA Paper 13352, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ivana Horvat to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.