Monetary and Exchange Rate Regimes Changes: The Cases of Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Republic of Serbia
AbstractThe paper explores (former) transition economies, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and the Republic of Serbia, concerning abandonment of the exchange rate targeting and fixed exchange rate regimes and movement toward explicit/implicit inflation targeting and flexible exchange rate regimes. The paper identifies different subperiods concerning crucial monetary and exchange rate regimes, and tracks the changes of specific monetary transmission channels i.e exchange rate channel, interest rate channel, indirect and direct influences to the exchange rate, with variance decomposition of VAR/VEC model. The empirical results indicate that Polish monetary strategy toward higher monetary and exchange rate flexibility has been performed smoothly, gradually and planned, compared to the Slovak and, especially, Czech case. The comparison of three former transition economies with the Serbian case indicate strong and persistent exchange rate pass-through, low interest rate pass-through, significant indirect and direct influence to the exchange rate as potential obstacles for successful inflation targeting in the Republic of Serbia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia in its journal Panoeconomicus.
Volume (Year): 56 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.panoeconomicus.rs/
Exchange rate targeting; Inflation targeting; Intermediate exchange rate regimes; Monetary transmission channels;
Other versions of this item:
- Kosta Josifidis & Jean-Pierre Allegret & Emilija Beker Pucar, 2009. "Monetary and Exchange Rate Regimes Changes: The Cases of Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Republic of Serbia," Post-Print halshs-00404729, HAL.
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reginaldo P. Nogueira Jnr, 2006. "Inflation Targeting, Exchange Rate Pass-Through and 'Fear of Floating'," Studies in Economics 0605, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Kim, Soyoung, 2003. "Monetary policy, foreign exchange intervention, and the exchange rate in a unifying framework," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 355-386, August.
- Zorica Mladenović & Kosta Josifidis & Slađana Srdić, 2013. "The Purchasing Power Parity in Emerging Europe: Empirical Results Based on Two-Break Analysis," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 60(2), pages 179-202, April.
- Rajmund MIRDALA, 2012.
"Interest Rates Determination And Crisis Puzzle (Empirical Evidence From The European Transition Economies),"
Journal of Applied Economic Sciences Quarterly,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(4), pages 418-436, December.
- Mirdala, Rajmund, 2012. "Interest Rates Determination and Crisis Puzzle (Empirical Evidence from the European Transition Economies)," MPRA Paper 43756, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mirdala, Rajmund, 2013. "Current Account Adjustments and Real Exchange Rates in the European Transition Economies," MPRA Paper 48901, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mirdala, Rajmund, 2013.
"Real Output and Prices Adjustments under Different Exchange Rate Regimes,"
46879, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rajmund MIRDALA, 2013. "Real Output and Prices Adjustments under Different Exchange Rate Regimes," Chapters of Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy book, in: Rajmund Mirdala (ed.), Financial Aspects of Recent Trends in the Global Economy, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 208-230 ASERS Publishing.
- Rajmund Mirdala, 2013. "Real Output and Prices Adjustments Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1064, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mirdala, Rajmund, 2012. "Macroeconomic Aspects of Real Exchange Rate Volatility in the Central European Countries," MPRA Paper 40910, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rajmund Mirdala, 2009. "Interest Rate Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in the Selected EMU Candidate Countries," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(3), pages 359-377, September.
- Đorđe Đukić & Mališa Đukić, 2009. "The Global Financial Crisis and the Behaviour of Short-Term Interest Rates International and Serbian Aspects," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(4), pages 491-506, December.
- Mirdala, Rajmund, 2009.
"Exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices in the Central European countries,"
19282, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rajmund MIRDALA, 2009. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices In The Central European Countries," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 4(3(9)_Fall).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ivana Horvat to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.