Long Term Dynamic of Real Exchange Rate, Trade Liberalization and Financial Integration: The Case of South-East Mediterranean Countries
AbstractIn this paper, we aim to test the empirical validity of the QTM relationship for the Turkish economy. Using some contemporaneous time series estimation techniques, our estimation results reveal that stationarity characteristics of the velocities of currency in circulation and the broad money aggregate in the economy cannot be rejected through a quantity theoretical co-integrating long-term variable space. We find that there exists an about one-to-one proportionality between money and prices and money and real income, and that exogeneity of money cannot be rejected for the currency in circulation in the economy. But, the exception here comes from the broad monetary aggregate used in the QTM equation such that money seems to be endogenous as for the long-term variable space.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia in its journal Panoeconomicus.
Volume (Year): 56 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.panoeconomicus.rs/
Equilibrium real exchange rate; Misalignment; Trade liberalization; International financial integration; Cointegration; PSEM;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F37 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Finance Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balazs Egert & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Amina Lahrèche-Révil, 2007.
"Real Exchange Rates in Small Open OECD and Transition Economies: Comparing Apples with Oranges?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1928, CESifo Group Munich.
- Egert, Balazs & Lommatzsch, Kirsten & Lahreche-Revil, Amina, 2006. "Real exchange rates in small open OECD and transition economies: Comparing apples with oranges?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3393-3406, December.
- Balázs Égert & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Amina Lahrèche-Révil, 2007. "Real Exchange Rates in Small Open OECD and Transition Economies: Comparing Apples with Oranges?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp859, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Lane, P.R. & Ganelli, G., 2002.
"Dynamic General Equilibrium Analysis: The Open Economy Dimension,"
CEG Working Papers
20026, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Ganelli, Giovanni & Lane, Philip R., 2002. "Dynamic General Equilibrium Analysis: The Open Economy Dimension," CEPR Discussion Papers 3540, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Giovanni Ganelli, 2002. "Dynamic General Equilibrium Analysis: The Open Economy Dimension," Trinity Economics Papers 200212, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Smith, R Todd, 2002.
"Temporary controls on capital inflows,"
13863, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Pascale Duran-Vigneron & Amina Lahrèche-Revil & Mignon, Valerie, 2004. "Burden Sharing and Exchange-Rate Misalignments within the Group of Twenty," Working Papers 2004-13, CEPII research center.
- Stein, Jerome L. & Allen, Polly Reynolds, 1998. "Fundamental Determinants of Exchange Rates," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293064, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivana Horvat) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ivana Horvat to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.