Insecure Land Rights and Share Tenancy: Evidence from Madagascar
AbstractMost studies of tenurial insecurity focus on its effects on investment. This paper studies the hitherto unexplored relationship between tenurial insecurity and land tenancy contracts. Based on distinct features of formal law and customary rights in Madagascar, this paper augments the canonical model of sharecropping by making the strength of the landlord’s property right increasing in the amount of risk she bears within the contract. Using data on landlords’ subjective perceptions in rural Madagascar, empirical tests support the hypothesis that insecure property rights drive contract choice but offer little support in favor of the canonical risk sharing hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K11 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Property Law
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Ten Things Applied Econometricians Should Keep in Mind
by Marc F. Bellemare in Marc F. Bellemare on 2013-09-18 09:00:07
- Holden, Stein & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2013. "The Roles of Land Tenure Reforms and Land Markets in the Context of Population Growth and Land Use Intensification in Africa," CLTS Working Papers 15/13, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- Perrine Burnod & Nicole ANDRIANIRINA & CÃ©line Boue & Flore Gubert & Nelly Rakoto-Tiana & Julia Vaillant & Rado Rabeantoandro & RaphaÃ«l Rotovoarinony, 2012. "Land reform and certification in Madagascar: does perception of tenure security matter and change?," Working Papers 224046, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Wendyam Ulrich Wilfried Zombre & Emmanuelle Bouquet & Jean-Philippe Colin, 2013. "Contraintes de financement et choix contractuel sur le marchÃ© du faire-valoir indirect Ã Madagascar," Working Papers 226293, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.