L’Étranger: Status, Property Rights, and Investment Incentives in Côte d’Ivoire
Abstracthis study uses data from Côte d’Ivoire to show that "outsider" households have relatively small land holdings and less complete rights over land than locals. It then demonstrates a link between property rights and investment incentives by looking at the decision to leave land fallow. "Outsiders" fallow a smaller proportion of their land, indicating that their farms are left uncultivated for shorter periods. This is only partly explained by their incomplete property rights and relative land-poverty. These differences in investment patterns lead to lower yields per hectare.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 86 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Deininger, Klaus & Goyal, Aparajita, 2012.
"Going digital: Credit effects of land registry computerization in India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 236-243.
- Deininger, Klaus & Goyal, Aparajita, 2010. "Going digital : credit effects of land registry computerization in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5244, The World Bank.
- KOUADIO, Hugues & DESDOIGTS, Alain, 2012.
"Déforestation, migrations, saturation et réformes foncières: La Côte d’Ivoire entre résilience rurale et litiges fonciers
[Deforestation, migration, saturation and land reforms: Côte d'Ivoi," MPRA Paper 49938, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ali, Daniel Ayalew & Deininger, Klaus & Goldstein, Markus, 2011. "Environmental and gender impacts of land tenure regularization in Africa : pilot evidence from Rwanda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5765, The World Bank.
- KOUADIO, Hugues, 2012.
"Droit foncier, productivité et investissement dans l'agriculture : cas du café en Côte d'Ivoire
[Land tenure, productivity and investment in agriculture: the case of coffee in Côte d'Ivoire]," MPRA Paper 49944, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ayalew Ali, Daniel & Goldstein, Markus, 2011. "Environmental and Gender Impacts of Land Tenure Regularization in Africa," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.