Coherent Arbitrariness: On Value Uncertainty for Environmental Goods
AbstractThis paper investigates the idea that people are unsure about the value they place on prospective changes in environmental goods. In particular, we focus on a parametric explanation of the determinants of a "value gap," the difference between the most someone is sure they would pay for an increase in an environmental good, and the smallest amount they are sure they would not pay. We also present a simple means of calculating aggregate willingness to pay from data on the range of willingness to pay expressed via a payment ladder.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mikołaj Czajkowski & Nick Hanley & Jacob LaRiviere, 2012.
"The Effects of Experience on Preference Uncertainty: Theory and Empirics for Public and Quasi-Public Goods,"
Working Papers, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw
2012-15, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Czajkowski, Mikolaj & Hanley, Nicholas & LaRiviere, Jacob, 2012. "The Effects of Experience on Preference Uncertainty: Theory and Empirics for Public and Quasi-Public Goods," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers, University of Stirling, Division of Economics 2012-17, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Pierre-Alexandre Mahieu & Pere Riera & Raul Brey, 2010. "Testing the cognitive burden of two choice modeling valuation variants. The between and within sample approaches," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1384-1391.
- Voltaire, Louinord & Pirrone, Claudio & Bailly, Denis, 2013. "Dealing with preference uncertainty in contingent willingness to pay for a nature protection program: A new approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 76-85.
- Czajkowski, Mikołaj & Hanley, Nick & LaRiviere, Jacob, 2013. "The effects of experience on preference uncertainty: theory and empirics for environmental goods," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society 152155, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Jason F. Shogren & Jason F. Shogren, 2013.
"Bidding Behavior given Point and Interval Values in a Second-price Auction,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series, Economics, The University of Manchester
1310, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Banerjee, Prasenjit & Shogren, Jason F., 2014. "Bidding behavior given point and interval values in a second-price auction," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 126-137.
- Hermann Donfouet & P. Jeanty & P.-A. Mahieu, 2014.
"Dealing with internal inconsistency in double-bounded dichotomous choice: an application to community-based health insurance,"
Empirical Economics, Springer,
Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 317-328, February.
- Hermann Pythagore Pierre Donfouet & Pierre-Alexandre Mahieu & P. Wilner Jeanty, 2011. "Dealing with Internal Inconsistency in Double-Bounded Dichotomous Choice: An Application to Community-Based Health Insurance," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen), Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS 201130, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Diederich, Johannees & Goeschl, Timo, 2014. "Motivational Drivers of the Private Provision of Public Goods: Evidence From a Large Framed Field Experiment," Working Papers, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics 0561, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Riera, Pere & Signorello, Giovanni & Thiene, Mara & Mahieu, Pierre-Alexandre & Navrud, Ståle & Kaval, Pamela & Rulleau, Benedicte & Mavsar, Robert & Madureira, Lívia & Meyerhoff, Jürgen & Elsasser,, 2012. "Non-market valuation of forest goods and services: Good practice guidelines," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 259-270.
- Aanesen, Margrethe & Czajkowski, Mikolaj & Falk-Peterson, Jannike & Hanley, Nicholas & LaRiviere, Jacob & Tinch, Dugald, 2014. "Effects of Experience, Knowledge and Signals on Willingness to Pay for a Public Good," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers, University of Stirling, Division of Economics 2014-04, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.