Spatial-Endogenous Fire Risk and Efficient Fuel Management and Timber Harvest
AbstractThis paper integrates a spatial fire-behavior model and a stochastic dynamic-optimization model to determine the optimal spatial pattern of fuel management and timber harvest. Each year’s fire season causes the loss of forest values and lives in the western United States. We use a multi-plot analysis and incorporate uncertainty about fire ignition location s and weather conditions to inform policy by examining the role of spatial endogenous risk—where management actions on one stand affect fire risk in that and adjacent stands. The results support two current strategies, but question two other strategies, for managing forests with fire risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Konoshima, Masashi & Montgomery, Claire A. & Albers, Heidi J. & Arthur, Jeffrey L., 2007. "Spatial Endogenous Fire Risk and Efficient Fuel Management and Timber Harvest," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9700, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Q23 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Forestry
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sims, Charles & Aadland, David & Finnoff, David, 2010. "A dynamic bioeconomic analysis of mountain pine beetle epidemics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2407-2419, December.
- Prante, Tyler & Little, Joseph M. & Jones, Michael L. & McKee, Michael & Berrens, Robert P., 2011.
"Inducing private wildfire risk mitigation: Experimental investigation of measures on adjacent public lands,"
Journal of Forest Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 415-431.
- Tyler Prante & Joseph M. Little & Michael L. Jones & Michael McKee & Robert P. Berrens, 2010. "Inducing Private Wildfire Risk Mitigation: Experimental Investigation of Measures on Adjacent Public Lands," Working Papers 10-10, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.