The Value of the Reservoir Services Gained with Soil Conservation
AbstractTo evaluate the impact of soil conservation on reservoir services, we extend replacement cost theory to cases where reservoir benefits are restored or preserved for multiple years. The framework is used to value the effect that a marginal change in soil erosion has on current and future reservoir benefits. Results show that, across the 2,111 U.S watersheds, a one-ton reduction in soil erosion provides benefits ranging from zero to $1.38. Furthermore, in a policy application, the lower soil erosion level in 1997, relative to 1982, was shown to have conserved $154 million in reservoir benefits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 83 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q26 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Recreational Aspects of Natural Resources
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ian Bateman & Georgina Mace & Carlo Fezzi & Giles Atkinson & Kerry Turner, 2011. "Economic Analysis for Ecosystem Service Assessments," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(2), pages 177-218, February.
- Pradhan, Deepa & Ancev, Tihomir & Drynan, Ross G. & Harris, Michael, 2009. "Management of Water Reservoirs (Embungs) in West Timor, Indonesia," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 48052, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Chavez, Holcer & Nadolnyak, Denis A. & Saravia, Miguel, 2013. "Socioeconomic and Environmental Impact of Development Interventions: Rice Production at the Gallito Ciego Reservoir in Peru," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 16(1).
- Tran, Ngoc Bich & Ley, Eduardo, 2012. "Green prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6131, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.