Assessing the Impact of Environmental Regulation on Industrial Water Use: Evidence from Brazil
AbstractThis paper aims at characterizing water demand by Brazilian manufacturing plants and at assessing the potential impacts of environmental policies on industrial water use. We first show that the price elasticity of the water demand, –1.0 on average, is high enough for a water charge to act as an effective policy tool for reducing water consumption. Results also provide some evidence of a tradeoff between water quality improvement and water conservation policies, since more stringent environmental standards may lead to a higher water demand. A joint use of environmental norms and water charges may reconcile both policy goals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 81 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Other versions of this item:
- José Féres & Arnaud Reynaud, 2005. "Assessing the Impact of Environmental Regulation on Industrial Water Use: Evidence From Brazil," Discussion Papers, Instituto de Pesquisa EconÃ´mica Aplicada - IPEA 1079, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kumar, Surender, 2004.
"Analysing industrial water demand in India: An input distance function approach,"
Working Papers, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy
04/12, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Surender Kumar, 2009. "Analyzing Industrial Water Demand in India: An Input Distance Function Approach," Working Papers id:2178, eSocialSciences.
- Arnaud Reynaud, 2003. "An Econometric Estimation of Industrial Water Demand in France," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(2), pages 213-232, June.
- Diane Dupont & Steven Renzetti, 2001. "The Role of Water in Manufacturing," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(4), pages 411-432, April.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Wang, Hua & Lall, Somik, 1999. "Valuing water for Chinese industries : a marginal productivity assessment," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 2236, The World Bank.
- Linz, Teresa & Tsegai, Daniel W., 2009. "Industrial Water Demand analysis in the Middle Olifants sub-basin of South Africa: The case of Mining," Discussion Papers, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF) 49927, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- FERES JosÃ© & REYNAUD Arnaud, 2006. "Does Formal or Informal Environmental Regulation have an Impact on Costs? An Empirical Analysis of the Brazilian," LERNA Working Papers, LERNA, University of Toulouse 06.16.209, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Vallés-Giménez, Jaime & Zárate-Marco , Anabel, 2013. "Environmental taxation and industrial water use in Spain," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 25, pages 133-162.
- José Féres & Arnaud Reynaud & Alban Thomas, 2012.
"Water reuse in Brazilian manufacturing firms,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(11), pages 1417-1427, April.
- José Féres & Arnaud Reynaud & Alban Thomas, 2007. "Water Reuse in Brazilian Manufacturing Firms," Discussion Papers, Instituto de Pesquisa EconÃ´mica Aplicada - IPEA 1257, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- José Gustavo Féres & Alban Thomas & Arnaud Reynaud, 2006. "Water Reuse In Brazilian Manufacturing Firms," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting], ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of G 181, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.