A Limited Economic Assessment of the Northeast Groundfish Fishery Buyout Program
AbstractThe United States and various European Union nations have used vessel buyout programs to reduce harvesting capacity in fisheries. In this paper, we present an analysis of the U.S. Northeast groundfish vessel buyout program. Using data envelopment analysis (DEA), we calculate capacity for both the fleet and for the vessels removed through the buyout program. Our analysis suggests that if capacity measures had been used to select vessels, both more capacity and more vessels could have been purchased with the funds allocated to the buyout program. We conclude with a discussion of alternative ways to reduce capacity in fisheries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Diop, Hamady & Keithly, Walter R., Jr. & Kazmierczak, Richard F., Jr. & Diagne, Assane, 2007. "Economic And Physical Measures of Efficiency: the Case of the Gulf of Mexico Grouper Fishery," 2007 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2007, Mobile, Alabama 34915, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Pascoe, Sean & Tingley, Diana, 2006. "Economic capacity estimation in fisheries: A non-parametric ray approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 124-138, May.
- Steven Schilizzi & Uwe Latacz-Lohmann, 2007. "Assessing the Performance of Conservation Auctions: An Experimental Study," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 83(4), pages 497-515.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior, 2009. "Tangency Capacity Notions Based upon the Pro?t and Cost Functions: A Non-Parametric Approach and a Comparison," Working Papers 2009-ECO-05, IESEG School of Management.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010.
"Tangency capacity notions based upon the profit and cost functions: A non-parametric approach and a general comparison,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1156-1166, September.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010. "Tangency Capacity Notions Based upon the Profit and Cost Functions: A Non-Parametric Approach and a General Comparison," Working Papers 2010/04, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Pascoe, Sean & Hutton, Trevor & van Putten, Ingrid & Dennis, Darren & Skewes, Tim & Plagányi, Éva & Deng, Roy, 2013. "DEA-based predictors for estimating fleet size changes when modelling the introduction of rights-based management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 230(3), pages 681-687.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.