Combining Spatial and Survey Data to Explain Participation in Agricultural Land reservation Programs
AbstractThe factors in uencing participation in both purchase of development rights and transfer of development rights farmland preservation programs are analyzed using data from a survey of agricultural landowners and from spatial data on individual farms collected using GIS for four Maryland counties. Generally, the likelihood of participation increases with farm size, growing crops, if a child plans to continue farming, eligibility and the share of income from farming. Landowners closer to the nearest city were less likely to join. Survey information about landowner characteristics and local selection committees may aid in targeting efforts. preferences are correlated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Siikamäki, Juha & Layton, David, 2005. "Incentive Payment Programs for Environmental Protection: A Framework for Eliciting and Estimating Landowners' Willingness to Participate," Discussion Papers dp-05-57, Resources For the Future.
- McConnell, Virginia D. & Kopits, Elizabeth & Walls, Margaret, 2005. "Farmland Preservation and Residential Density: Can Development Rights Markets Affect Land Use?," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 34(2), October.
- Joshua Duke & Lori Lynch, 2007.
"Gauging support for innovative farmland preservation techniques,"
Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 123-155, June.
- Duke, Joshua M. & Lynch, Lori, 2006. "Gauging Support for Innovative Farmland Preservation Techniques," Working Papers 28586, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Thomas Coisnon & Walid OUESLATI & Julien Salanié, 2012. "Agri-environmental policy and urban sprawl patterns: A general equilibrium analysis," Working Papers halshs-00753221, HAL.
- Lynch, Lori & Duke, Joshua M., 2007. "Economic Benefits of Farmland Preservation: Evidence from the United States," Working Papers 7342, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- John K. Horowitz & Lori Lynch & Andrew Stocking, 2009.
"Competition-Based Environmental Policy: An Analysis of Farmland Preservation in Maryland,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 85(4), pages 555-575.
- Horowitz, John K. & Lynch, Lori & Stocking, Andrew, 2007. "Competition-Based Environmental Policy: An Analysis of Farmland Preservation in Maryland," Working Papers 7340, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Hand, Michael S. & Nickerson, Cynthia J., 2009. "The Role of Cost-Share Rates and Prices on the Size of Conservation Investments in EQIP," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49257, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Towe, Charles A., 2011. "A Competing Risks Model of Land Use Change," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103725, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lin, Haixia & Wu, JunJie, 2005. "Conservation Policy and Land Value: The Conservation Reserve Program," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19417, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Siikamäki, Juha & Layton, David F., 2006. "Potential Cost-Effectiveness of Incentive Payment Programs for Biological Conservation," Discussion Papers dp-06-27, Resources For the Future.
- Liu, Xiangping & Lynch, Lori, 2006. "Do Agricultural Preservation Programs Affect Farmland Conversion? Evidence from a Propensity Score Matching Estimator," Working Papers 28569, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Lynch, Lori & Gray, Wayne & Geoghegan, Jacqueline, 2007. "An Evaluation of Working Land and Open Space Preservation Programs in Maryland: Are They Paying Too Much?," Working Papers 6887, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Lynch, Lori & Geoghegan, Jacqueline, 2011. "FOREWORD: The Economics of Land Use Change: Advancing the Frontiers," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(3), December.
- Thomas Coisnon & Walid OUESLATI & Julien Salanié, 2013. "Spatial targeting of agri-environmental policy and urban development," Working Papers halshs-00795815, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.