Household Behavior under Alternative Pay-as-You-Throw Systems for Solid Waste Disposal
AbstractIn 1994, residents of Marietta, Georgia, participated in a pay-as-you-throw solid waste demonstration project. Rather than pay a fixed monthly fee for collection, half of the residents paid a fee per reusable trash can, and half paid for each nonreusable trash bag collected. Data from both a sample of households and citywide totals indicate that the programs significantly reduced waste set-outs, even after accounting for increases in (unpriced) recycling. The bag program caused larger reductions (36%) than the subscription can program (14%). Rough estimates of the program indicate both savings for residents and social welfare increases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dijkgraaf, E. & Gradus, R. H. J. M., 2004.
"Cost savings in unit-based pricing of household waste: The case of The Netherlands,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 353-371, December.
- Elbert Dijkgraaf & Raymond Gradus, 2004. "Cost savings of unit-based pricing of household waste: The case of the Netherlands," Public Economics 0409001, EconWPA.
- Bohara, Alok K. & Caplan, Arthur J. & Grijalva, Therese, 2007. "The effect of experience and quantity-based pricing on the valuation of a curbside recycling program," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 433-443, December.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joel Huber & Jason Bell & Caroline Cecot, 2009. "Discontinuous Behavioral Responses to Recycling Laws and Plastic Water Bottle Deposits," NBER Working Papers 15585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Missios & Ida Ferrara, 2011. "A Cross-Country Study of Waste Prevention and Recycling," Working Papers 028, Ryerson University, Department of Economics.
- Hai-Lan Yang & Robert Innes, 2007. "Economic Incentives and Residential Waste Management in Taiwan: An Empirical Investigation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(3), pages 489-519, July.
- Takehiro Usui & Kenji Takeuchi, 2012. "Evaluating Unit-Based Pricing Of Residential Solid Waste: A Panel Data Analysis," Discussion Papers 1203, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Don Fullerton & Andrew Leicester & Stephen Smith, 2008. "Environmental Taxes," NBER Working Papers 14197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Palmer, Karen & Martinez, Salvador & Jenkins, Robin & Podolsky, Michael, 1999. "The Determinants of Household Recycling: A Material Specific Analysis of Unit Pricing and Recycling Program Attributes," Discussion Papers dp-99-41-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Thomas C. Kinnaman, 2006. "Policy Watch: Examining the Justification for Residential Recycling," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 219-232, Fall.
- Halstead, John M. & Hallas-Burt, Shanna & Huang, Ju-Chin, 2004. "Alternatives For Financing Municipal Services: The Case Of Unit-Priced Trash Disposal," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19953, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Caplan, Arthur J. & Grijalva, Therese C. & Jakus, Paul M., 2002. "Waste not or want not? A contingent ranking analysis of curbside waste disposal options," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2-3), pages 185-197, December.
- Scott J. Callan & Janet M. Thomas, 2006. "Analyzing Demand For Disposal And Recycling Services: A Systems Approach," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 221-240, Spring.
- Maarten A. Allers & Corine Hoeben, 2010. "Effects of Unit-Based Garbage Pricing: A Differences-in-Differences Approach," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(3), pages 405-428, March.
- Ida Ferrara & Paul Missios, 2012. "A Cross-Country Study of Household Waste Prevention and Recycling: Assessing the Effectiveness of Policy Instruments," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 88(4), pages 710-744.
- Yen-Lien Kuo & Charles Perrings, 2010. "Wasting Time? Recycling Incentives in Urban Taiwan and Japan," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 47(3), pages 423-437, November.
- Paul Missios & Ida Ferrara, 2012. "Does Waste Management Policy Crowd out Social and Moral Motives for Recycling?," Working Papers 031, Ryerson University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.