Household Responses to Price Incentives for Recycling: Some Further Evidence
AbstractThis paper investigates the role of waste disposal service fees and household characteristics in determining recycling rates and waste generation. Using individual household data from Portland, Oregon, we model a multistage household decision process regarding waste generation and recycling effort under a block pricing system, including the choice of container size and reduced-form demand equations for recyclables, non-recyclables, and recycling rate. The choice of container size is not affected by the price of waste disposal services, but within a given container size, households respond to a price increase by increasing recycling to avoid charges for waste generation above contracted volumes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Don Fullerton & Andrew Leicester & Stephen Smith, 2008. "Environmental Taxes," NBER Working Papers 14197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bohara, Alok K. & Caplan, Arthur J. & Grijalva, Therese, 2007. "The effect of experience and quantity-based pricing on the valuation of a curbside recycling program," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 433-443, December.
- Yen-Lien Kuo & Charles Perrings, 2010. "Wasting Time? Recycling Incentives in Urban Taiwan and Japan," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 47(3), pages 423-437, November.
- van den Bergh, Jeroen C.J.M., 2008. "Environmental regulation of households: An empirical review of economic and psychological factors," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 559-574, July.
- Takehiro Usui & Kenji Takeuchi, 2014.
"Evaluating Unit-Based Pricing of Residential Solid Waste: A Panel Data Analysis,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 58(2), pages 245-271, June.
- Takehiro Usui & Kenji Takeuchi, 2012. "Evaluating Unit-Based Pricing Of Residential Solid Waste: A Panel Data Analysis," Discussion Papers 1203, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Ida Ferrara & Paul Missios, 2012. "A Cross-Country Study of Household Waste Prevention and Recycling: Assessing the Effectiveness of Policy Instruments," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 88(4), pages 710-744.
- Usui, Takehiro, 2008. "Estimating the effect of unit-based pricing in the presence of sample selection bias under Japanese Recycling Law," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 282-288, June.
- Bevin Ashenmiller, 2006. "The Effect of Income on Recycling Behavior in the Presence of a Bottle Law: New Empirical Results," Occidental Economics Working Papers 10, Occidental College, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2006.
- Hai-Lan Yang & Robert Innes, 2007. "Economic Incentives and Residential Waste Management in Taiwan: An Empirical Investigation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(3), pages 489-519, July.
- Germà Bel & Raymond Gradus, 2014. "“Effects of unit-based pricing on the waste collection demand: a meta-regression analysis”," IREA Working Papers 201420, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jun 2014.
- Caplan, Arthur J. & Grijalva, Therese C. & Jakus, Paul M., 2002. "Waste not or want not? A contingent ranking analysis of curbside waste disposal options," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2-3), pages 185-197, December.
- Brandon C. Koford & Glenn C. Blomquist & David M. Hardesty & Kenneth R. Troske, 2012. "Estimating Consumer Willingness to Supply and Willingness to Pay for Curbside Recycling," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 88(4), pages 745-763.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joel Huber & Jason Bell & Caroline Cecot, 2009. "Discontinuous Behavioral Responses to Recycling Laws and Plastic Water Bottle Deposits," NBER Working Papers 15585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Palmer, Karen & Martinez, Salvador & Jenkins, Robin & Podolsky, Michael, 1999. "The Determinants of Household Recycling: A Material Specific Analysis of Unit Pricing and Recycling Program Attributes," Discussion Papers dp-99-41-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Maarten A. Allers & Corine Hoeben, 2010. "Effects of Unit-Based Garbage Pricing: A Differences-in-Differences Approach," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(3), pages 405-428, March.
- Thomas C. Kinnaman, 2006. "Policy Watch: Examining the Justification for Residential Recycling," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 219-232, Fall.
- Scott J. Callan & Janet M. Thomas, 2006. "Analyzing Demand For Disposal And Recycling Services: A Systems Approach," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 221-240, Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.