Ecotourism Demand and Differential Pricing of National Park Access in Costa Rica
AbstractEcotourism presents developing countries with growing opportunities for enhancing resource conservation and economic growth, but also raises pressing management and policy challenges. This paper presents a conceptual framework and empirical analysis of the impacts of introducing a differential entrance fee policy at three national parks in Costa Rica. Data are collected using a contingent behavior methodology designed to elicit information on foreign tourists' hypothetical park visitation behaviors at alternative entrance fee levels. Park visitation demand functions and price and income elasticities are estimated. Revenue-maximizing fees are calculated and applications of differential pricing principles to park management are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 74 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Evridiki Tsounta, 2008. "What Attracts Tourists to Paradise?," IMF Working Papers 08/277, International Monetary Fund.
- Tran Huu Tuan, 2007. "Valuing the Economic Benefits of Preserving Cultural Heritage: The My Son Sanctuary World Heritage Site in Vietnam," EEPSEA Research Report rr2007072, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Jul 2007.
- Shrestha, Ram K. & Loomis, John B., 2001. "Testing a meta-analysis model for benefit transfer in international outdoor recreation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 67-83, October.
- Elena Ojea & Paulo Nunes & Maria Loureiro, 2010. "Mapping Biodiversity Indicators and Assessing Biodiversity Values in Global Forests," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 47(3), pages 329-347, November.
- Paulo A.L.D. Nunes & Elena Ojea & Maria Loureiro, 2009. "Mapping of Forest Biodiversity Values: A Plural Perspective," Working Papers 2009.4, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ovchinnikova, Natalia V. & Czap, Hans J. & Lynne, Gary D. & Larimer, Christopher W., 2009. ""I don't want to be selling my soul": Two experiments in environmental economics," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 221-229, March.
- Aline Chiabai & Chiara Travisi & Anil Markandya & Helen Ding & Paulo Nunes, 2010.
"Economic Assessment of Forest Ecosystem Services Losses: Cost of Policy Inaction,"
- Aline Chiabai & Chiara Travisi & Anil Markandya & Helen Ding & Paulo Nunes, 2011. "Economic Assessment of Forest Ecosystem Services Losses: Cost of Policy Inaction," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 50(3), pages 405-445, November.
- Juan Luis Eugenio-Martín & Noelia Martín Morales & Riccardo Scarpa, 2004. "Tourism and Economic Growth in Latin American Countries: A Panel Data Approach," Working Papers 2004.26, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Himayatullah Khan, 2006. "Willingness to Pay for Margalla Hills National Park: Evidence from the Travel Cost Method," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 11(2), pages 43-70, Jul-Dec.
- Nunes, Paulo A. L. D. & van den Bergh, Jeroen C. J. M., 2001. "Economic valuation of biodiversity: sense or nonsense?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 203-222, November.
- Richardson, Robert B. & Loomis, John B., 2004. "Adaptive recreation planning and climate change: a contingent visitation approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 83-99, September.
- Ellingson, Lindsey & Seidl, Andrew, 2007. "Comparative analysis of non-market valuation techniques for the Eduardo Avaroa Reserve, Bolivia," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 517-525, January.
- Himayatullah, 2003. "Economic Valuation of the Environment and the Travel Cost Approach: The Case of Ayubia National Park," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 537-551.
- Alpizar, Francisco, 2006. "The pricing of protected areas in nature-based tourism: A local perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 294-307, February.
- González Gómez, M., 2000. "Preferencias de los individuos por los espacios recreativos: dos aplicaciones en Galicia," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 16, pages 93-110, Diciembre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.