The Economics of Tropical Forest Land Use Options
AbstractTropical deforestation is generally characterized as conversion of forest land to alternative uses, notably agriculture. This would suggest the need for rational decision making concerning the optimal allocation of tropical forest land between competing uses. The following paper explores this problem by devising rules for determining optimal land use allocation between timber and agriculture at the stand and forest levels. A complementary intertemporal model for optimal allocation of forest land to agricultural conversion at the forest level is also developed and used to derive a demand relationship for agricultural conversion, which is then approximated through empirical estimation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 73 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Namaalwa, Justine & Sankhayan, Prem L. & Hofstad, Ole, 2007. "A dynamic bio-economic model for analyzing deforestation and degradation: An application to woodlands in Uganda," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 479-495, January.
- Barbier, Edward B., 2004. "Agricultural Expansion, Resource Booms and Growth in Latin America: Implications for Long-run Economic Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 137-157, January.
- Wurtenberger, Laura & Koellner, Thomas & Binder, Claudia R., 2006. "Virtual land use and agricultural trade: Estimating environmental and socio-economic impacts," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 679-697, June.
- Yoshito Takasaki, 2011. "Economic models of shifting cultivation: a review," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2011-006, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba.
- Barbier, Edward B., 2000. "Links between economic liberalization and rural resource degradation in the developing regions," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 299-310, September.
- Liao, Xianchun & Zhang, Yaoqi, 2008. "Economic impacts of shifting sloping farm lands to alternative uses," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 97(1-2), pages 48-55, April.
- Rodriguez, Luis Carlos & Pascual, Unai, 2004. "Land clearance and social capital in mountain agro-ecosystems: the case of Opuntia scrubland in Ayacucho, Peru," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 243-252, June.
- Benhin, J.K.A. & Barbier, Edward B., 2001. "The Effects Of The Structural Adjustment Program On Deforestation In Ghana," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(1), April.
- Cacho, Oscar, 2001. "An analysis of externalities in agroforestry systems in the presence of land degradation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 131-143, October.
- TATOUTCHOUP, Didier & GAUDET, Gérard, 2009.
"The Impact of Recycling on the Long-Run Stock of Trees,"
Cahiers de recherche
11-2009, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- TATOUTCHOUP, Didier & GAUDET, Gérard, 2009. "The Impact of Recycling on the Long-Run Stock of Trees," Cahiers de recherche 2009-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Gregory S. Amacher & Erkki Koskela & Markku Ollikainen, 2004. "Deforestation, Production Intensity and Land Use under Insecure Property Rights," CESifo Working Paper Series 1128, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carlos Felipe Jaramillo & Thomas Kelly, 1997. "Deforestation and Property Rights in Latin America," IDB Publications 25558, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Li, Man & De Pinto, Alessandro & Ulimwengu, John M. & You, Liangzhi & Robertson, Richard D., 2012. "Impacts of Paving Roads for Development in the Democratic Republic of Congo: Deforestation and Biological Carbon Loss," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126672, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Galinato, Gregmar I. & Galinato, Suzette P., 2013. "The short-run and long-run effects of corruption control and political stability on forest cover," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 153-161.
- Yoshito Takasaki & Oliver T. Coomes & Christian Abizaid & St?phanie Brisson, 2011. "An efficient nonmarket institution under imperfect markets: Labor sharing for tropical forest clearing," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2011-007, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba, revised Jan 2012.
- Hartwick, John M. & Van Long, Ngo & Tian, Huilan, 2001. "Deforestation and Development in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 235-251, May.
- Takasaki, Yoshito, 2000. "Deforestation And Asset Accumulation Among Small Scale Farmers," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21786, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Köthke, Margret & Leischner, Bettina & Elsasser, Peter, 2013. "Uniform global deforestation patterns — An empirical analysis," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 23-37.
- Nguyen, Trung Thanh & Bauer, Siegfried & Uibrig, Holm, 2010. "Land privatization and afforestation incentive of rural farms in the Northern Uplands of Vietnam," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(7), pages 518-526, September.
- Scandizzo, Pasquale Lucio & Savastano, Sara, 2009.
"Optimal Farm Size under an Uncertain Land Market: the Case of Kyrgyz Republic,"
111th Seminar, June 26-27, 2009, Canterbury, UK
52844, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sara Savastano & Pasquale Lucio Scandizzo, 2010. "Optimal Farm Size under an Uncertain Land Market: the Case of Kyrgyz Republic," CEIS Research Paper 154, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 28 May 2010.
- Rolfe, John & Bennett, Jeff & Louviere, Jordan, 2000. "Choice modelling and its potential application to tropical rainforest preservation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 289-302, November.
- Casey, James F. & Caviglia-Harris, Jill L., 2000. "Deforestation And Agroforestry Adoption In Tropical Forests: Can We Generalize? Some Results From Campeche, Mexico And Rondonia, Brazil," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36466, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Cacho, Oscar J., 1999. "Valuing Agroforestry In The Presence Of Land Degradation," Working Papers 12931, University of New England, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.