Cross-Media Pollution: Responses to Restrictions on Chlorinated Solvent Releases
AbstractPollution control in one environmental medium may alter polluters' releases into other media. This paper examines cross-media responses to public policies that restrict toxic air emissions and that increase waste management costs. The EPA's 1987-90 Toxic Release Inventories are used to study the policies' effects on air emissions and waste generation of chlorinated solvents. The results suggest that constraints on air emissions reduce waste generation, perhaps because facilities rely less on these chemicals. Increases in hazardous waste management costs increase air emissions, however, suggesting that facilities substitute between releases into different environmental media.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 72 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Alberini & Kathleen Segerson, 2002. "Assessing Voluntary Programs to Improve Environmental Quality," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 157-184, June.
- Lirong Liu, 2012. "Analysis of Firm Compliance with Multiple Environmental Regulations," Working Papers 1207, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
- Arik Levinson, 2010.
"Belts and Suspenders: Interactions Among Climate Policy Regulations,"
NBER Working Papers
16109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arik Levinson, 2011. "Belts and Suspenders: Interactions among Climate Policy Regulations," NBER Chapters, in: The Design and Implementation of U.S. Climate Policy, pages 127-140 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lirong Liu, 2013. "Analysis of Firm Compliance with Multiple Environmental regulations," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 1695-1705.
- Alberini, Anna & Austin, David H., 1999.
"Strict Liability as a Deterrent in Toxic Waste Management: Empirical Evidence from Accident and Spill Data,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 20-48, July.
- Austin, David & Alberini, Anna, 1998. "Strict Liability as a Deterrent in Toxic Waste Management: Empirical Evidence from Accident and Spill Data," Discussion Papers dp-98-16, Resources For the Future.
- Khanna, Madhu & Damon, Lisa A., 1999. "EPA's Voluntary 33/50 Program: Impact on Toxic Releases and Economic Performance of Firms," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-25, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.