Management of Transnational Commons: Coordination, Publicness, and Treaty Formation
AbstractThis paper focuses on the formation of treaties to manage transnational commons when efforts must be coordinated among a minimal-sized group so as to make cooperation worthwhile. By focusing on mixed-strategy equilibria, we are concerned with instances where the intentions of others are uncertain. The number of required participants, the pattern of payoffs, transaction costs, and the underlying technology of public supply aggregation are key factors behind the achievement of coordination. We apply our analysis to explain the outcome of negotiations on stratospheric ozone depletion, global warming, acid rain, and tropical deforestation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 71 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hong, Fuhai & Karp, Larry, 2012.
"International environmental agreements with mixed strategies and investment,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
1129, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Hong, Fuhai & Karp, Larry, 2012. "International Environmental Agreements with mixed strategies and investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(9-10), pages 685-697.
- Hong, Fuhai & Karp, Larry, 2012. "International Environmental Agreements with Mixed Strategies and Investment," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt0xf976x1, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Michael Finus & Raoul Schneider & Pedro Pintassilgo, 2011. "The Incentive Structure of Impure Public Good Provision – The Case of International Fisheries," Discussion Papers 1103, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- María del Carmen García-Alonso & Keith Hartley, 1999.
"Export Controls, Market Structure and International Coordination,"
Studies in Economics
9908, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Maria del Carmen Garcia-Alonso & Keith Hartley, 2000. "Export controls, market structure and international coordination," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 481-503.
- Karp, Larry & Sacheti, Sandeep, 1996. "Limited Cooperation in International Environmental Agreements," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt9qm8158m, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1996.
"An Agenda For The Design And Study Of International Environmental Agreements,"
Economics Research Institute, ERI Study Papers
28353, Utah State University, Economics Department.
- Batabyal, Amittrajeet A., 1996. "An agenda for the design and study of international environmental agreements," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-9, October.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1996. "An Agenda for the Design and Study of International Environmental Agreements," Working Papers 9620, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Murdoch, James C. & Sandler, Todd & Vijverberg, Wim P. M., 2003. "The participation decision versus the level of participation in an environmental treaty: a spatial probit analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 337-362, February.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1998. "Developing countries and international environmental agreements: The case of perfect correlation," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 85-102.
- MacDonald, Ian, 2001. "The Importance of Pre-commitment in International Environmental Agreements," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 125752, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Arce M., Daniel G. & Sandler, Todd, 2001. "Transnational public goods: strategies and institutions," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 493-516, September.
- Nagase, Yoko & Silva, Emilson C.D., 2007. "Acid rain in China and Japan: A game-theoretic analysis," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 100-120, January.
- Hauer, Grant & Runge, C. Ford, 1997. "Trade-Environment Linkages In The Resolution Of Transboundary Externalities," Working Papers 14398, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1996.
"Developing Countries and Environmental Protection: The Effects of Budget Balance and Pollution Ceiling Constraints,"
9617, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1997. "Developing countries and environmental protection: the effects of budget balance and pollution ceiling constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 285-305, December.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1996. "Developing Countries And Environmental Protection: The Effect Of Budget Balance And Pollution Ceiling Constraints," Economics Research Institute, ERI Study Papers 28347, Utah State University, Economics Department.
- Pittel, Karen & Rübbelke, Dirk T. G., 2007.
"Climate Policy and Ancillary Benefits: A Survey and Integration into the Modelling of International Negotiations on Climate Change,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-064, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pittel, Karen & Rübbelke, Dirk T.G., 2008. "Climate policy and ancillary benefits: A survey and integration into the modelling of international negotiations on climate change," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1-2), pages 210-220, December.
- Iman van Lelyveld & Marco Spaltro, 2011. "Coordinating Bank Failure Costs and Financial Stability," DNB Working Papers 306, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Sandler, Todd, 2001. "On financing global and international public goods," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2638, The World Bank.
- Santiago J. Rubio, 2001. "International Cooperation In Pollution Control," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-21, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Mustafa Babiker, 1998. "The CO2 Abatement Game: Costs, Incentives and the Stability of a Sub-Global Coalition," Computational Economics 9807002, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.