Measuring the Contributions of Site Characteristics to the Value of Agricultural Land
AbstractThis study examines the effects of different combinations and qualities of selected site characteristics on the value of agricultural land in six substate regions in Washington State. The analysis follows the general hedonic regression form, but incorporates nonnegativity constraints on the models. This, coupled with an adaptation of Bierens's conditional moment test, yields consistent results showing (a) land value is a function of site characteristics, (b) land markets in Washington State are highly regional, (c) parsimonious empirical models can provide adequate representations of expected land values, and (d) nonnegative truncation is a valuable procedure in hedonic models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 69 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Merry, Frank & Amacher, Gregory & Lima, Eirivelthon, 2008. "Land Values in Frontier Settlements of the Brazilian Amazon," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2390-2401, November.
- Temel, Tugrul, 2011. "The formation of offer prices in farmland markets: A hedonic price approach," MPRA Paper 31921, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Philip Kostov & Myles Patton & Seamus McErlean, 2008. "Nonparametric analysis of the influence of buyers' characteristics and personal relationships on agricultural land prices," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 161-176.
- Ma, Shan & Swinton, Scott M., 2011. "Valuation of ecosystem services from rural landscapes using agricultural land prices," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(9), pages 1649-1659, July.
- De Vijlder, Nicolas, 2012. "A macroeconomic analysis of the land market in the count of Flanders and the duchy of Brabant. (fifteenth and sixteenth century)," MPRA Paper 39283, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arthur Grimes & Andrew Aitken, 2008. "Water, Water Somewhere: The Value of Water in a Drought-Prone Farming Region," Working Papers 08_10, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Latruffe , Laure & Ay, Jean-Sauveur, 2013. "The Empirical Content of the Present Value Model: A survey of the instrumental uses of farmland prices," Factor Markets Working Papers 165, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Bell, Kathleen P. & Irwin, Elena G., 2002. "Spatially explicit micro-level modelling of land use change at the rural-urban interface," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 217-232, November.
- Reed, L.L. & Kleynhans, Theo E., 2009. "Agricultural land purchases for alternative uses â€“ evidence from two farming areas in the Western Cape province, South Africa," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 48(3), September.
- Bastian, Chris T. & McLeod, Donald M. & Germino, Matthew J. & Reiners, William A. & Blasko, Benedict J., 2002. "Environmental amenities and agricultural land values: a hedonic model using geographic information systems data," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 337-349, March.
- Odening, Martin & Jetzinger, Simon & Huettel, Silke, 2013.
"Forced Sales and Farmland Prices,"
2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C.
150274, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Huttel, Silke & Jetzinger, Simon & Odening, Martin, 2012. "Forced Sales And Farmland Prices," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 133413, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Huttel, Silke & Jetzinger, Simon & Odening, Martin, 2012. "Forced Sales and Farmland Prices," Structural Change in Agriculture/Strukturwandel im Agrarsektor (SiAg) Working Papers 129063, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Savage, Jeffrey & Ifft, Jennifer, 2013. "Does Pumping Pay: Groundwater Management Institutions and Cropland Values in Nebraska?," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150581, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jeanne DACHARY-BERNARD (UR ADBX, CEMAGREF) & Sandrine LYSER (UR ADBX, CEMAGREF) & Frédéric GASCHET (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Guillaume POUYANNE (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Stéphane VIROL (GREThA, C, 2011. "Real Estate and Land Values on the shoreline: a transaction-level analysis (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2011-07, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.