A Private Property Rights Regime to Replenish a Groundwater Aquifer
AbstractGroundwater management is often reactive, and in some cases the groundwater stock (groundwater table) of an aquifer may fall below its optimal steady-state level before any thought is given to management. This paper examines a private property rights regime to restore a groundwater resource to its optimal steady-state. Results from a stochastic dynamic programming model of Madera County, California show that the private property rights regime recovers about 95 percent of the potential gain from groundwater management
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 69 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Phoebe Koundouri, 2004.
"Current Issues in the Economics of Groundwater Resource Management,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 703-740, December.
- Koundouri, Phoebe, 2004. "Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management," MPRA Paper 38425, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Phoebe Koundouri, . "Current issues in the economics of groundwater resource management," DEOS Working Papers 0402, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Laukkanen, Marita & Koundouri, Phoebe, 2006.
"Competition versus coopertion in groundwater extraction: A stochastic framework with heteregoneous agents,"
41910, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marita Laukkanen & Phoebe Koundouri, . "Competition versus coopertion in groundwater extraction: A stochastic framework with heteregoneous agents," DEOS Working Papers 0605, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Marita Laukkanen & Phoebe Koundouri, . "Competition versus coopertion in groundwater extraction: A stochastic framework with heteregoneous agents," DEOS Working Papers 0606, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Marita Laukkanen & Phoebe Koundouri, . "Competition versus coopertion in groundwater extraction: A stochastic framework with heteregoneous agents," DEOS Working Papers 0604, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Beard, Rodney & McDonald, Stuart, 2005. "Dynamic Recontracting of Water Rights," 2005 Conference (49th), February 9-11, 2005, Coff's Harbour, Australia 137781, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Alain Ayong Le Kama & Agnès Tomini, 2012. "Water Conservation versus Soil Salinity Control," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-8, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Esteban, Encarna & Albiac, José, 2011. "Groundwater and ecosystems damages: Questioning the Gisser-Sánchez effect," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(11), pages 2062-2069, September.
- Knapp, Keith C. & Schwabe, Kurt A., 2008. "AJAE Appendix: Spatial Dynamics of Water and Nitrogen Management in Irrigated Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), May.
- Jedidiah Brewer & Robert Glennon & Alan Ker & Gary D. Libecap, 2007. "Water Markets in the West: Prices, Trading, and Contractual Forms," NBER Working Papers 13002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hubert Stahn & Agnès Tomini, 2011. "Rainwater Harvesting under Endogenous Capacity of Storage : a solution to aquifer preservation?," Working Papers halshs-00626334, HAL.
- Jedidiah Brewer & Robert Glennon & Alan Ker & Gary Libecap, 2007. "Water Markets in the West: Prices, Trading, and Contractual Forms," ICER Working Papers 30-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Knapp, Keith C. & Franklin, Bradley, 2012. "Sustainability Economics of Groundwater Usage and Management," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124959, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Iglesias, Eva, 2002. "La gestion de las aguas subterraneas en el acuifero Mancha Occidental," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 2(01).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.