Estimates of Year-to-Year Volatility in Earnings and in Household Incomes from Administrative, Survey, and Matched Data
AbstractWe document trends in the volatility in earnings and household incomes between 1985 and 2005 in three different data sources: administrative earnings records, the Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP) matched to administrative earnings records, and SIPP survey data. In all data sources, we find a substantial amount of year-to-year volatility in workers’ earnings and household incomes. In the data sources that contain administrative earnings, we find that volatility has been roughly constant, and has even declined slightly, since the mid-1980s. These findings differ from what is found using survey data and what has been reported in previous studies. Journal: Journal of Human Resources
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Jenkins, Stephen P., 2013.
"Earnings and Labour Market Volatility in Britain,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7491, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Marco Leonardi, 2013.
"Earnings Instability and Tenure,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4145, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Marco Leonardi, 2007. "Earnings Instability and Tenure," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia dell'Impresa e del Lavoro ieil0048, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Leonardi, Marco, 2006. "Earnings Instability and Tenure," IZA Discussion Papers 2527, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Böckerman, Petri & Vainiomäki, Jari, 2013.
"Stature and Life-Time Labor Market Outcomes: Accounting for Unobserved Differences,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7424, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bockerman, Petri & Vainiomäki, Jari, 2012. "Stature and life-time labor market outcomes: Accounting for unobserved differences," MPRA Paper 42220, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2013-23 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.