Pensions and Household Wealth Accumulation
AbstractEconomists have long suggested that higher private pension benefits "crowd out" other sources of household wealth accumulation. We exploit detailed information on pensions and lifetime earnings for older workers in the 1992 wave of the Health and Retirement Study and employ an instrumental-variable (IV) identification strategy to estimate crowd-out. The IV estimates suggest statistically significant crowd-out: each dollar of pension wealth is associated with a 53–67 cent decline in nonpension wealth. With less precision, we use an instrumental-variable quantile regression estimator and find that most of the effect is concentrated in the upper quantiles of the wealth distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hui Shan, 2008.
"Property taxes and elderly mobility,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2008-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Duca, John V. & Kumar, Anil, 2014.
"Financial literacy and mortgage equity withdrawals,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 62-75.
- John V. Duca & Anil Kumar, 2011. "Financial literacy and mortgage equity withdrawals," Working Papers 1110, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Alessie, Rob & Angelini, Viola & van Santen, Peter, 2013.
"Pension wealth and household savings in Europe: Evidence from SHARELIFE,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 308-328.
- Santen, Peter van & Alessie, Rob & Angelini, Viola, 2012. "Pension wealth and household savings in Europe: Evidence from SHARELIFE," Research Report 12012-EEF, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Alessie, Rob & Angelini, Viola & van Santen, Peter, 2013. "Pension Wealth and Household Savings in Europe: Evidence from SHARELIFE," Working Paper Series 265, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Campbell, John Y. & Jackson, Howell E. & Madrian, Brigitte C. & Tufano, Peter, 2010.
"The Regulation of Consumer Financial Products: An Introductory Essay with Four Case Studies,"
- Cambpbell, John Y. & Jackson, Howell Edmunds & Madrian, Brigitte & Tufano, Peter, 2010. "The Regulation of Consumer Financial Products: An Introductory Essay with Four Case Studies," Scholarly Articles 4450128, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Campbell, John Y. & Jackson, Howell E. & Madrian, Brigitte C. & Tufano, Peter, 2010. "The Regulation of Consumer Financial Products: An Introductory Essay with Four Case Studies," Working Paper Series rwp10-040, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Engelhardt, Gary V. & Kumar, Anil, 2009.
"The elasticity of intertemporal substitution: New evidence from 401(k) participation,"
Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 15-17, April.
- Gary V. Engelhardt & Anil Kumar, 2008. "The elasticity of intertemporal substitution: new evidence from 401(k) participation," Working Papers 0812, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Burman, Leonard E. & Coe, Norma B. & Dworsky, Michael & Gale, William G., 2012.
"Effects Of Public Policies On The Disposition Of Pre-Retirement Lump-Sum Distributions: Rational And Behavioral Influences,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 65(4), pages 863-87, December.
- Burman, L.E. & Coe, N.B. & Dworsky, M. & Gale, W.G., 2008. "Effects of Public Policies on the Disposition of Pre-retirement Lump-Sum Distributions: Rational and Behavioral Influences," Discussion Paper 2008-94, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Edward N. Wolff, 2011. "Pensions in the 2000s: the Lost Decade?," NBER Working Papers 16991, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blau, David M., 2011. "Pensions, Household Saving, and Welfare: A Dynamic Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 5554, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.