The Impact of HIV/AIDS and ARV Treatment on Worker Absenteeism: Implications for African Firms
AbstractWe characterize medium and long-run labor market impacts of HIV/AIDS and ARV treatment using unique panel data of worker absenteeism and information from an AIDS treatment program at a large mining firm in Botswana. We present robust evidence of an inverse-V shaped pattern in worker absenteeism around the time of ARV treatment inception. Absenteeism one to four years after treatment start is low and similar to nonenrolled workers at the firm. Furthermore, our analysis suggests that for the typical manufacturing firm in Africa, the benefits of treatment to the firm cover 8–22 percent of the cost of treatment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 45 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arimoto, Yutaka & Ito, Seiro & Kudo, Yuya & Tsukada, Kazunari, 2013.
"Stigma, social relationship and HIV testing in the workplace : evidence from South Africa,"
IDE Discussion Papers
386, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Arimoto, Yutaka & Ito, Seiro & Kudo, Yuya & Tsukada, Kazunari, 2013. "Stigma, Social Relationship and HIV Testing in the Workplace: Evidence from South Africa," CEI Working Paper Series 2012-06, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- James A. Levinsohn & Zoë McLaren & Olive Shisana & Khangelani Zuma, 2011. "HIV Status and Labor Market Participation in South Africa," NBER Working Papers 16901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marinescu, Ioana E., 2012. "HIV, Wages, and the Skill Premium," IZA Discussion Papers 6438, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chicoine, Luke, 2012. "AIDS mortality and its effect on the labor market: Evidence from South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 256-269.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.