High School Employment and Youths' Academic Achievement
AbstractThis paper asks whether employment during high school impacts youths' grade point average. Unlike much of the prior literature, it allows for the endogeneity of the hours and dropout decisions, uses ASVAB test scores, and tests whether youth employment is dynamic. The results indicate that high school employment and its lag have small, negative impacts on academic grade point average for both males and females. The hours effects diminish when a fixed person effect is included, and they become statistically insignificant when hours are instrumented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 42 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Knoth Humlum & Rune Majlund Vejlin, 2013.
"The Responses Of Youth To A Cash Transfer Conditional On Schooling: A Quasi‐Experimental Study,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4), pages 628-649, 06.
- Maria Knoth Humlum & Rune Majlund Vejlin, 2009. "The Effects of Financial Aid in High School on Academic and Labor Market Outcomes: A Quasi-Experimental Study," Economics Working Papers 2009-02, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Buscha, Franz & Maurel, Arnaud & Page, Lionel & Speckesser, Stefan, 2008.
"The Effect of High School Employment on Educational Attainment: A Conditional Difference-in-Differences Approach,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3696, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Franz Buscha & Arnaud Maurel & Lionel Page & Stefan Speckesser, 2007. "The Effect of High School Employment on Educational Attainment : A Conditional Difference-in-Differences Approach," Working Papers 2007-40, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Kalenkoski, Charlene Marie & Pabilonia, Sabrina Wulff, 2012.
"Time to work or time to play: The effect of student employment on homework, sleep, and screen time,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 211-221.
- Kalenkoski, Charlene M. & Pabilonia, Sabrina Wulff, 2009. "Time to Work or Time to Play: The Effect of Student Employment on Homework, Sleep, and Screen Time," IZA Discussion Papers 4666, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Charlene Marie Kalenkoski & Sabrina Wulff Pabilonia, 2011. "Time to Work or Time to Play: The Effect of Student Employment on Homework, Sleep, and Screen Time," Working Papers 450, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Lee, Chanyoung & Orazem, Peter F., 2010.
"High school employment, school performance, and college entry,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 29-39, February.
- Lee, Chanyoung & Orazem, Peter, 2008. "High School Employment, School Performance, and College Entry," Staff General Research Papers 12953, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Victoria Gunnarsson & Peter F. Orazem & Mario A. Sánchez & Aimee Verdisco, 2009.
"Does Local School Control Raise Student Outcomes? Evidence on the Roles of School Autonomy and Parental Participation,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 25-52, October.
- Gunnarsson, Victoria & Orazem, Peter & Sanchez, Mario A. & Verdisco, Aimee, 2009. "Does Local School Control Raise Student Outcomes?: Evidence on the Roles of School Autonomy and Parental Participation," Staff General Research Papers 13083, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Magali Beffy & Denis Fougère & Arnaud Maurel, 2009. "The Impact of Students' Paid Employment on Pursuit and Completion of University Studies," Economie et Statistique, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, vol. 422, pages 31-50, November.
- Jeffrey S. DeSimone, 2008. "The Impact of Employment during School on College Student Academic Performance," NBER Working Papers 14006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sabia, Joseph J., 2009. "School-year employment and academic performance of young adolescents," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 268-276, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.