Declining Bias and Gender Wage Discrimination? A Meta-Regression Analysis
AbstractThis paper extends, tests, and revises a previous meta-regression analysis of the gender wage gap (Stanley and Jarrell 1998). We find that there remains a strong, though dampened, tendency for discrimination estimates to fall, and male researchers still report significantly larger amounts of wage discrimination against women. This extensive research base, containing 104 estimates, suggests that there is less need to correct for selection bias—an indirect sign of lessened discrimination. There is evidence that gender research is changing and improving. Although gender wage discrimination has lessened, the research base still finds a significant gender wage inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 39 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lars P. Feld & Jost Henrich Heckemeyer, 2009.
"FDI and Taxation: A Meta-Study,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2540, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ernesto Reuben & Matthew Wiswall & Basit Zafar, 2013.
"Preferences and biases in educational choices and labor market expectations: shrinking the black box of gender,"
627, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Reuben, Ernesto & Wiswall, Matthew & Zafar, Basit, 2013. "Preferences and Biases in Educational Choices and Labor Market Expectations: Shrinking the Black Box of Gender," IZA Discussion Papers 7579, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Coral del Río & Carlos Gradín & Olga Cantó, 2006. "Pobreza y discriminación salarial por razón de género en España," Working Papers 0606, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Mats Bergman & Malcolm Coate & Maria Jakobsson & Shawn Ulrick, 2010. "Comparing Merger Policies in the European Union and the United States," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 305-331, June.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schäfer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2007.
"Entrepreneurs' Gender and Financial Constraints: Evidence from International Data,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
706, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Muravyev, Alexander & Talavera, Oleksandr & Schäfer, Dorothea, 2009. "Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: Evidence from international data," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 270-286, June.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schaefer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2008. "Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: evidence from international data," Discussion Papers 11, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Stanley, T.D. & Doucouliagos, Chris & Jarrell, Stephen B., 2008.
"Meta-regression analysis as the socio-economics of economics research,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 276-292, February.
- T.D. Stanley & Chris Doucouliagous & Stephen B. Jarrell, 2006. "Meta-Regression Analysis as the Socio-Economics of Economic Research," Economics Series 2006_21, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Raymundo M. Campos-Vazquez & Eva O. Arceo-Gomez, 2013.
"Evolución de la brecha salarial de género en México,"
Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos
2013-07, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
- Eva Olimpia Arceo Gómez & Raymundo Campos-Vázquez, 2013. "Evolución de la Brecha Salarial de Género en México," Working papers DTE 556, CIDE, División de Economía.
- Jhon James Mora & Juan Muro, 2014. "On the size of sheepskin effects: A meta-analysis," Alcamentos 1401, Universidad de Alcalá, Departamento de Economía..
- Bineau, Yannick, 2010. "Renminbi's misalignment: A meta-analysis," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 259-269, September.
- Chris Doucouliagos & Patrice Laroche, 2007. "Unions and Profitability: A Meta-Analysis," Economics Series 2007_01, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Reijnders, Laurie S.M., 2014. "The college gender gap reversal: Insights from a life-cycle perspective," Research Report 14006-EEF, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Patrice Laroche & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2009. "Unions and Profits: A meta-regression Analysis," Post-Print hal-00648569, HAL.
- Semykina, Anastasia & Linz, Susan J., 2007. "Gender differences in personality and earnings: Evidence from Russia," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 387-410, June.
- Gianni Betti & Antonella D’Agostino & Laura Neri, 2011. "Educational Mismatch of Graduates: a Multidimensional and Fuzzy Indicator," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 465-480, September.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Paulo Guimarães & Pedro Portugal, 2013.
"Everything you always wanted to know about sex discrimination,"
w201302, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Guimaraes, Paulo & Portugal, Pedro, 2012. "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex Discrimination," IZA Discussion Papers 7109, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Anja-Kristin Abendroth, 2014. "Country Differences in the Relationship between Incomes and Wage Rates of Working Partners," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 641, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Su Wu, 2006. "The Wallis Report and Implications of Bank Mergers for Efficiencies," Economics Series 2006_12, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.