Gender Differences in Pensions
AbstractThe causes of gender differences in pensions are examined for retirees and employees using the 1982 Newly Entitled Beneficiary Survey, and the 1979 and 1988 May Current Population Surveys. For both retirees and the employed population, much of the gender gap in coverage is accounted for by gender differences in labor market characteristics. While children and marriage have a negative effect on female coverage among retirees even after controlling for labor market characteristics, the negative effect is not observed among more recent groups of female employees. Finally, recent convergence of male and female labor market characteristics contributed to a decline in the coverage gap during the 1980s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 29 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tzannatos, Zafiris, 1999. "Women and Labor Market Changes in the Global Economy: Growth Helps, Inequalities Hurt and Public Policy Matters," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 551-569, March.
- Dahl, Svenn-Åge & Nilsen, Øivind Anti & Vaage, Kjell, 2002.
"Gender Differences in Early Retirement Behaviour,"
IZA Discussion Papers
522, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dahl, Svenn-Åge & Nilsen, Øivind Anti & Vaage, Kjell, 2002. "Gender Differences in Early Retirement Behaviour," Working Papers in Economics, University of Bergen, Department of Economics 02/02, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Malene Kallestrup-Lamb, 2011. "The Role of the Spouse in Early Retirement Decisions for Older Workers," CREATES Research Papers, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus 2011-38, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Tzannatos, Zafiris, 1998. "Women and labor market changes in the global economy : growth helps, inequalities hurt, and public policy matters," Social Protection Discussion Papers 20051, The World Bank.
- Kayam, Saime S. & Parkın, Mehmet Koray & Çeliktopuz, Merih, 2013. "Features that influence the exit decision from the private pension system in Turkey," MPRA Paper 50933, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Phipps, Shelley & Woolley, Frances, 2008. "Control over money and the savings decisions of Canadian households," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 592-611, April.
- Bardasi, Elena & Jenkins, Stephen P., 2004. "The gender gap in private pensions," ISER Working Paper Series 2004-29, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Roberto Leombruni & Michele Mosca, 2011. "The lifetime gender gap in Italy. Do the pension system countervails labour market outcomes?," LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies 113, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Janet Currie, 1993. "Gender Gaps in Benefits Coverage," NBER Working Papers 4265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward N. Wolff, 2005. "Is the Equalizing Effect of Retirement Wealth Wearing Off?," Economics Working Paper Archive, Levy Economics Institute wp_420, Levy Economics Institute.
- Leombruni Roberto & Mosca Michele, 2013. "The lifetime gender gap in Italy. Does the pension system countervail labour market outcomes?," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers, University of Turin 201302, University of Turin.
- Barrientos, Armando, 1998. "Pension reform, personal pensions and gender differences in pension coverage," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 125-137, January.
- Kathleen McGarry & Andrew Davenport, 1997. "Pensions and the Distribution of Wealth," NBER Working Papers 6171, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolff, Edward N., 2007. "The retirement wealth of the baby boom generation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-40, January.
- Garen, John & Berger, Mark & Scott, Frank, 1996. "Pensions, non-discrimination policies, and the employment of older workers," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 417-429.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.