Female Labor Supply in Japan: Implications of the Informal Sector for Labor Force Participation and Hours of Work
AbstractThis paper extends previous work on labor supply in Japan by treating the simultaneous labor force participation and hours of work decisions for Japanese wives, both employees and family workers. It estimates a trichotomous participation model for a sample from the Tokyo Metropolitan Area, and then estimates hours and wage equations, and aggregate labor supply elasticities. The empirical results generally confirm the economic model's theoretical predictions. Although the estimated aggregate wage and income elasticities for employees are somewhat higher than previous estimates for the U.S., they are of the same order of magnitude. However, the level of the husband's income has an unexpected positive effect on the annual hours that employees work and the elasticities estimated for family workers are usually large.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 24 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alicia Puyana & Jose Romero, 2012. "Informalidad y dualismo en la economía mexicana," Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos 2012-11, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
- Heather Antecol & Kelly Bedard, 2002. "The Decision to Work by Married Immigrant Women: The Role of Extended Family Households," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2002-34, Claremont Colleges.
- Glauben, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & Wang, Xiaobing, 2008. "Labor market participation of Chinese agricultural households: Empirical evidence from Zhejiang province," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 329-340, August.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2012.
"Influence of age of child on differences in life satisfaction of males and females: Comparative study among East Asian countries,"
35770, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2012. "Influence of age of child on differences in life satisfaction of males and females: A comparative study among East Asian countries," MPRA Paper 36988, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alicia Puyana & José Romero, 2010. "Informalidad y dualismo en la economía mexicana," Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos 2010-04, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
- Koyo Miyoshi, 2009. "Labor Supply Behavior of Japanese Husbands and Wives," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2009-034, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Wang, Xiaobing, 2007. "Labor market behavior of Chinese rural households during transition," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 42, number 92321.
- Glauben, Thomas & Herzfeld, Thomas & Wang, Xiaobing, 2005. "Labor Market Participation of Chinese Agricultural Households," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24516, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Eiji Yamamura & Antonio R. Andrés, 2011.
"Influence of age of child on differences in marital satisfaction of males and females in East Asian countries,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2011_19, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Yamamura, Eiji & Andrés, Antonio R., 2011. "Influence of age of child on differences in marital satisfaction of males and females in East Asian countries," MPRA Paper 32756, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mendola, Mariapia & Carletto, Calogero, 2012. "Migration and gender differences in the home labour market: Evidence from Albania," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 870-880.
- Eiji Yamamura & Antonio Rodriguez, 2012. "Influence of age of child on differencesinlife satisfaction ofmalesand females: A comparative study among East Asian countries," Development Research Working Paper Series 04/2012, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
- Hideo Akabayashi, 2006. "The labor supply of married women and spousal tax deductions in Japan—a structural estimation," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 349-378, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.