The Definition and Measurement of Poverty
AbstractBoth poverty research and social policy employ a variety of poverty definitions. The choice of one specific definition has major consequences for the resulting poverty population. This paper uses eight different definitions of poverty to determine who is poor, using a 1983 Dutch sample of more than 12,000 households. Poverty according to each of these definitions is compared over different subgroups. The relevance of the choice between definitions for social policy is shown by the presentation of poverty percentages according to the various definitions, which vary widely.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 23 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tomáš Želinský, 2010. "Analysis of Poverty in Slovakia Based on the Concept of Relative Deprivation," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(4), pages 542-565.
- Berthold, Norbert & Brunner, Alexander, 2011. "Armut - was ist das?," Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche BeitrÃ¤ge 112, Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Lehrstuhl für Volkswirtschaftslehre, insbes. Wirtschaftsordnung und Sozialpolitik.
- Anand, Paul & Lea, Stephen, 2011. "The psychology and behavioural economics of poverty," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 284-293, March.
- Teguh Dartanto, 2011. "A Theoretical and Empirical Investigation of the Application of an Endogenous Poverty Line and Its Relationship with the Poverty Impact of Policy Reforms," Working Papers in Economics and Business 201101, Faculty of Economics, University of Indonesia, revised Nov 2011.
- Carlos C. Bautista, 2010. "Subjective poverty thresholds in the Philippines," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 47(1), pages 147-155, June.
- G. M., Arif & Ahmad, Munir, 2001. "Poverty across the agro- ecological zones in rural Pakistan," MPRA Paper 37681, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dartanto, Teguh & Shigeru, Otsubo, 2013. "Measurements and Determinants of Multifaceted Poverty: Absolute, Relative, and Subjective Poverty in Indonesia," Working Papers 54, JICA Research Institute.
- Sarfraz K. Qureshi & G. M. Arif, 2001. "Profile of Poverty in Pakistan, 1998-99," MIMAP Technical Paper Series 2001:05, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Berthold, Norbert & Brunner, Alexander, 2007. "Gibt es ein europäisches Sozialmodell?," Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche BeitrÃ¤ge 100, Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Lehrstuhl für Volkswirtschaftslehre, insbes. Wirtschaftsordnung und Sozialpolitik.
- Franz F. Eiffe & Karin Heitzmann, 2006. "Armut im Kontext reicher Staaten: zur wissenschaftlichen Operationalisierung eines normativen Begriffs," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 75(1), pages 43-57.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.