The Role Of National And Supranational Fiscal Rules - International Evidence And Situation In The Czech Republic
AbstractThis paper summarizes recent international evidence on the design, functioning and effects of fiscal rules. Special attention is paid to small open economies such as the Czech Republic. This paper (1) discusses pros and cons of the rules focusing on different types of fiscal constraints (e.g., budget balances, debt, expenditures, and revenue); (2) surveys their impact on key macroeconomic variables; and (3) considers with the efficiency of fiscal rules vis-a-vis the current financial crisis. In this context, representative national and supranational fiscal rules are also reviewed with an emphasis on the enforceability of such rules. This includes an evaluation of (1) the Czech Republicâ€™s fiscal targeting mechanism and medium-term expenditure framework introduced in 2003 and (2) the EU fiscal rules adopted by the Czech Republic in 2004. Finally, current debates on the future of fiscal policy rules inside and outside of the Czech Republic are briefly considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova in its journal Journal of Applied Economic Sciences.
Volume (Year): 5 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4(14)/ Winter 2010 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www2.spiruharet.ro/facultati/facultate.php?id=14
More information through EDIRC
fiscal rules; fiscal policy; debt; expenditure framework; Czech Republic;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H60 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - General
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Melecky, Martin, 2012. "Formulation of public debt management strategies: An empirical study of possible drivers," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 218-234.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Stefanescu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.