Some Remarks On The Effects Of Active Labour Market Policies In Post-Transition
AbstractSocial cohesion is the principal goal behind active labour market policies (ALMPs), including those financed at supra-national level, like the European Social Fund. In this paper we use NUTS4 level data on the local labour market dynamics in an attempt to verify direct and indirect effects of ALMPs. We use data for 2000- 2007 for Poland, while this period comprised both stark increases and reductions in the unemployment rates. Over this time also the financing of ALMPs has been increased considerably, transforming both to higher intensity of ALMPs (wider coverage) and higher extensiveness of these activities (increase in per treatment cost). At the same time, these trends have transmitted into local context with highly heterogeneous composition of instruments used and actual coverage rates and costs. We implement seemingly unrelated regressions (SURE) approach to inquire the effects of ALMPs on inflows and outflows rates among Polish local labour markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova in its journal Journal of Applied Economic Sciences.
Volume (Year): 4 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2(8)_ Summer 2009 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www2.spiruharet.ro/facultati/facultate.php?id=14
More information through EDIRC
unemployment dynamics; unemployment convergence; SURE; transition;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferragina, Anna Maria & Pastore, Francesco, 2005.
"Mind the Gap: Unemployment in the New EU Regions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1565, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stanisław Cichocki & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2009.
"Shadow Employment In Transition - A Matter of Choice or No Choice?,"
2009-07, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Cichocki, Stanislaw & Tyrowicz, Joanna, 2009. "Shadow Employment in Transition - A Matter of Choice or No Choice?," MPRA Paper 15464, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cichocki, Stanislaw & Tyrowicz, Joanna, 2010. "Shadow employment in post-transition--Is informal employment a matter of choice or no choice in Poland?," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 527-535, August.
- Dario Sciulli, 2006.
"Making the Italian Labor Market More Flexible: An Evaluation of the Treu Reform,"
Economics Working Papers
we063408, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Sciulli, Dario, . "Making the italian labor market more flexible: an evaluation of the treu reform," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/374, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- David Katrencik & Joanna Tyrowicz & Piotr Wójcik, 2008.
"Unemployment Convergence in Transition,"
2008-07, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Carlino, Gerald A. & Mills, Leonard O., 1993. "Are U.S. regional incomes converging? : A time series analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 335-346, November.
- Hujer, Reinhard & Thomsen, Stephan L. & Zeiss, Christopher, 2006. "The effects of short-term training measures on the individual unemployment duration in West Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-65, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1999. "Gradual restructuring and Structural Unemployment in Poland. A Legacy of Central Planning," LICOS Discussion Papers 7899, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Calmfors, Lars & Skedinger, Per, 1995.
"Does Active Labor Market Policy Increase Employment? Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
429, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Calmfors, Lars & Skedinger, Per, 1995. "Does Active Labour-Market Policy Increase Employment? Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 91-109, Spring.
- Calmfors, L. & Skedinger, P., 1995. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Increase Employment? - Theoretical Considerations and Some Empirical Evidence from Sweden," Papers 590, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2002.
"Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 51-76, Winter.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2001. "Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 384, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor, .
"Real Interest Rates, Liquidity Constraints and Financial Deregulation: Private Consumption Behaviour in the UK,"
Economics and Finance Discussion Papers
97-12, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P., 1998. "Real Interest Rates, Liquidity Constraints and Financial Deregulation: Private Consumption Behavior in the U.K," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 221-242, April.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Marelli, Enrico, 2004. "Evolution of employment structures and regional specialisation in the EU," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 35-59, March.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002.
"Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences,"
700, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002. "Does active labour market policy work? Lessons from the Swedish experiences," Working Paper Series 2002:4, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Lars Calmfors & Anders Forslund & Maria Hemström, 2002. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences," CESifo Working Paper Series 675, CESifo Group Munich.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000.
"Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vladislav Flek & Kamil Galuscak & Jaromir Gottvald & Jaromir Hurnik & Stepan Jurajda & David Navratil & Petr Mares & Daniel Munich & Tomas Sirovatka & Jiri Vecernik, 2004. "Anatomy of the Czech Labour Market:From Over-Employment to Under-Employment in Ten Years?," Working Papers 2004/07, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Hujer, Reinhard & Caliendo, Marco & Thomsen, Stephan L., 2004.
"New evidence on the effects of job creation schemes in Germany--a matching approach with threefold heterogeneity,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 257-302, December.
- Hujer, Reinhard & Caliendo, Marco & Thomsen, Stephan Lothar, 2003. "New Evidence on the Effects of Job Creation Schemes in Germany - A Matching Approach with Threefold Heterogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 750, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lars Calmfors, 1993. "Centralisation of Wage Bargaining and Macroeconomic Performance: A Survey," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 131, OECD Publishing.
- repec:pra:mprapa:14885 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martin, John P. & Grubb, David, 2001. "What works and for whom: a review of OECD countries' experiences with active labour market policies," Working Paper Series 2001:14, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Dixon, R. & Shepherd, D. & Thomson, J., 2000. "Regional Unemployment Disparities," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 737, The University of Melbourne.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluis Carrion Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2004.
"Testing for hysteresis in unemployment in OECD countries. New evidence using stationarity panel tests with breaks,"
Working Papers in Economics
119, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2006. "Testing for Hysteresis in Unemployment in OECD Countries: New Evidence using Stationarity Panel Tests with Breaks," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(2), pages 167-182, 04.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- repec:fth:iniesr:429 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fábio Augusto Reis Gomes & Cleomar Gomes da Silva, 2006. "Hysteresis Vs. Nairu And Convergence Vs. Divergence: The Behavior Of Regional Unemployment Rates In Brazil," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 161, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Jan Svejnar, 2001.
"Transition Economies: Performances and Challenges,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
415, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Peter Huber, 2007. "Regional Labour Market Developments in Transition: A Survey of the Empirical Literature," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 4(2), pages 263-298, September.
- Jaakko Pehkonen & Hannu Tervo, 1998. "Persistence and Turnover in Regional Unemployment Disparities," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5), pages 445-458.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hagen, Tobias, 2003. "Three Approaches to the Evaluation of Active Labour Market Policy in East Germany Using Regional Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-27, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Vodopivec, Milan & Worgotter, Andreas & Raju, Dhushyanth, 2003. "Unemployment benefit systems in Central and Eastern Europe : a review of the 1990s," Social Protection Discussion Papers 26307, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Stefanescu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.