Logit and Principal Component Analyses on the Management of Marine Protected Area (MPA) in North-Eastern Iloilo, Philippines
AbstractMarine protected areas (MPAs) are considered a common tool for the protection of coastal, marine and fishery resources. Recently, literature on fishery management has been paying attention to the importance of the social dimensions of MPAs and their impacts on MPA success. This paper presents an overview of the management of MPAs in the region of North-Eastern Iloilo, Philippines, and examines the interaction between the civil society and market forces of different institutional arrangements. Using the logit and principal component analyses, the paper shows that the conflicts between economic actors are still in existence today, and knowledge appears as a key factor for evaluating MPA success. Moreover, having MPAs does not seem to bring the communities any other benefit than the stated objectives, such as food security and marine conservation. The paper also discusses how contrasting objectives and expectations from various stakeholders could exacerbate conflict in the management of MPAs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) in its journal Asia-Pacific Development Journal.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The United Nations Building, Rajadamnern Nok Avenue, Bangkok 10200
Phone: (66-2) 288-1234
Fax: (66-2) 288-1000
Web page: http://www.unescap.org/
More information through EDIRC
North-Eastern Iloilo; fishery management; marine protected areas; logit regression; principal component analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q2 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pomeroy, Robert S & Carlos, Melvin B, 1997. "Community-based coastal resource management in the Philippines: A review and evaluation of programs and projects, 1984-1994," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 445-464, September.
- Jollands, Nigel & Lermit, Jonathan & Patterson, Murray, 2004. "Aggregate eco-efficiency indices for New Zealand – a Principal Components Analysis," 2004 Conference, June 25-26, 2004, Blenheim, New Zealand 97773, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Macroeconomic Policy and Development Division, ESCAP).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.