Factors of the firm and the entrepreneur associated with technological capabilities of some metalworking SMEs in Mexico
AbstractThis paper focuses on the resource and capacity theory, which assumes that a firm´s characteristics and the entrepreneur are important determinants for technological innovation in small size firms. The article is based upon the typology of the industry technological capabilities developed by Bell and Pavitt (1995) and analyzes the relationship between factors of the firms and the entrepreneur and technological capabilities in small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) in the metalworking industry in the central region of Coahuila. Fifty SMEs were interviewed and results indicate the existence of a relationship between technological capabilities and majority control and legal status of the company, the level of education, age of the entrepreneur and his or her relationship with the company (partner, main partner, owner or employee).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Instituto de Investigaciones Económicas y Sociales (IIES). Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales. Universidad de Los Andes. Mérida, Venezuela in its journal Economía.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 33 (January-june)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales. Instituto de Investigaciones Económicas y Sociales. Campus Universitario Liria, Edificio G, Tercer Nivel. Mérida 5101, Estado Mérida, Venezuela
Phone: +58 74 401111 ext. 1081
Fax: +58 74 401120
Web page: http://iies.faces.ula.ve/
More information through EDIRC
technological capabilities; factors of the firm; factors of the entrepreneur; SMEs.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, John R. Raffiquzzaman, Mohammed, 1998. "The Effect of Technology and Trade on Wage Differentials Between Nonproduction and Production Workers in Canadian Manufacturing," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1998098e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Biggs, T. & Shah, M. & Srivastava, P., 1995. "Technological Capabilities and Learning in African Enterprises," Papers 288, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1996. "A Reprise of Size and R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 925-51, July.
- Braga, Helson & Willmore, Larry, 1991. "Technological Imports and Technological Effort: An Analysis of Their Determinants in Brazilian Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 421-32, June.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Rakesh Basant & Pankaj Chandra, 2002. "Building technological capabilities in a liberalising developing economy: Firm strategies and public policy," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 1-23.
- Rakesh Basant & Pankaj Chandra, 2002. "Building Technological Capabilities In A Liberalising Developing Economy: Firm Strategies And Public Policy," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4-5), pages 399-421.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexis Vásquez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.