Age segmentation in the Chilean health system
AbstractA formal model of the Chilean dual health system is presented, which, for appropriate parameters, replicates the observed age segmentation of the population between the private insurance market and the public health insurance. The model is used to compare the level of welfare obtained in the current mixed system with the levels of welfare that could be obtained in alternative “pure” systems, either only private or only public. It is also used to determine how the result of this comparison is affected by intergenerational distribution of income. Finally, the model is used to show that the creation of a mandatory individual savings account to finance the elderly’s health insurance could improve the performance of the Chilean health sector by reducing intergenerational inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its journal Estudios de Economia.
Volume (Year): 27 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 Year 2000 (June)
Health: Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health; Analysis of Health Care Markets; Distribution: General.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald Fischer & Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 1998. "Alternativas de financiamiento de la salud en el sistema privado, para la tercera edad," Documentos de Trabajo 34, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Ronald D. Fischer & Pablo Serra, 1997. "Análisis económico del sistema de seguros de salud en Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 17, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.