Financial integration, financial development and economic growth
AbstractThis paper analyzes the relationship between international financial integration and economic growth. Recent literature, surveyed in this paper, emphasizes the role of financial deepening on economic growth. Less attention has been paid, however, to the role of international financial integration in promoting a deep domestic financial market and through that channel fostering economic growth. Financial integration also permits portfolio diversification, allowing higher profitability of investment and, hence, higher rate of economic growth. Those issues are examines in this paper. In particular, after reviewing the theory and evidence, this paper analyzes empirically the relationships between financial integration and financial development, and between financial development and economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its journal Estudios de Economia.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 Year 1999 (December)
Financial integration; financial development; economic growth.;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ba, Lika & Gasmi, Farid, 2011. "To what extent do infrastructure and financial sectors reforms interplay? Evidence from panel data on the power sector in developing countries," TSE Working Papers 11-264, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Antonín Rusek, 2005. "Financial Integration and the New EU Member Countries: Challenges and Dilemmas," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2005(1), pages 17-32.
- Eduard Hochreiter & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Georg Winckler, 2002.
"Monetary Union: European Lessons, Latin American Prospects,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
167, Central Bank of Chile.
- Hochreiter, Eduard & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Winckler, Georg, 2002. "Monetary union: European lessons, Latin American prospects," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 297-321, December.
- Eduard Hochreiter & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Georg Winckler, 2002. "Monetary Union: European Lessons, Latin American Prospects," Working Papers 68, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Collins, Daryl & Abrahamson, Mark, 2006. "Measuring the cost of equity in African financial markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-81, March.
- Wei Huang, 2006. "Emerging Markets, Financial Openness and Financial Development," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 06/588, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- William C. Gruben & Darryl McLeod, 2001. "Capital account liberalization and disinflation in the 1990s," Center for Latin America Working Papers 0101, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Beckmann, Rainer & Eppendorfer, Carsten & Neimke, Markus, 2002. "Deepening European Financial Integration: Theoretical Considerations and Empirical Evaluation of Growth and Employment Benefits," MPRA Paper 5272, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael W. Klein & Giovanni Olivei, 1999.
"Capital Account Liberalization, Financial Depth and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
7384, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Klein & Giovanni Olivei, 1999. "Capital account liberalization, financial depth, and economic growth," Working Papers 99-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Ba, Lika & Gasmi, Farid, 2011. "To what extent do infrastructure and financial sectors reforms interplay? Evidence from panel data on the power sector in developing countries," IDEI Working Papers 692, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Yuanchen Chang & Mao-Wei Hung & Chiuling Lu, 2005. "Trade, R&D spending and financial development," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 809-819.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.