Sterilization of money inflows: Difficult (Calvo) or Easy (Reisen)?
AbstractSome countries undergoing exchange-rate-based stabilization and financial liberalization in Latin America and elsewhere have faced large capital inflows since 1991. Many have tried to sterilize the reserve inflows. Calvo and coauthors argue essentially that sterilization is more difficult than generally realized, due to the interest costs on sterilization bonds. Reisen argues essentially that sterilization in easier than generally believed. This paper reviews the issues in the simplest textbook model. The conclusions are that local interest rates are not likely to rise if the source of the disturbance is an exogenous capital inflow, but will rise if the disturbance is an increase is money demand or an increase in exports. In every case, sterilized intervention will leave interest rates higher than they would be if the inflow took place unsterilized. The case where the domestic money supply and the rest of the economy are insulated from foreign disturbances despite perfect capital mobility and a fixe
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its journal Estudios de Economia.
Volume (Year): 24 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 Year 1997 (December)
Sterilization; money inflows.;
Other versions of this item:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel., 1993. "Sterilization of Money Inflows: Difficult (Calvo) or Easy (Reisen)?," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C93-024, University of California at Berkeley.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1991. "The Perils of Sterilization," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 921-926, December.
- Khemraj, Tarron & Pasha, Sukrishnalall, 2011. "Monetary sterilization and dual nominal anchors: some Caribbean examples," MPRA Paper 34503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Buffie, Edward & Adam, Christopher & O'Connell, Stephen & Pattillo, Catherine, 2008.
"Riding the wave: Monetary responses to aid surges in low-income countries,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 1378-1395, November.
- Christopher Adam, 2006. "Riding the Wave: Monetary Responses to Aid Surges in Low-Income Countries," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2006-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Edward Buffie & Christopher Adam & Stephen O'Connell & Catherine Patillo, 2006. "Riding the Wave: Monetary Responses to Aid Surges in Low-Income Countries," CSAE Working Paper Series 2006-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1996.
"Inflows of capital to developing countries in the 1990s,"
13707, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "Inflows of Capital to Developing Countries in the 1990s," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 123-139, Spring.
- Edward Buffie & Christopher Adam & Stephen O'Connell & Catherine Pattillo, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Policy and the Management of Official and Private Capital Flows in Africa,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 126-160, June.
- Catherine A. Pattillo & Stephen A. O'Connell & Christopher Adam & Edward F. Buffie, 2004. "Exchange Rate Policy and the Management of official and Private Capital Flows in Africa," IMF Working Papers 04/216, International Monetary Fund.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2000.
"International Liquidity Management: Sterilization Policy in Illiquid Financial Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
7740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2000. "International Liquidity Management: Sterilization Policy in Illiquid Financial Markets," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1700, Econometric Society.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2001. "International Liquidity Illusion: On the Risks of Sterilization," NBER Working Papers 8141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lynn Elaine Browne & Rebecca Hellerstein & Jane Sneddon Little, 1998. "Inflation, asset markets, and economic stabilization: lessons from Asia," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 3-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.