Transactions Costs and the Efficient Organization of Production: A Study of Timber-Harvesting Contracts
AbstractA transaction costs framework is developed to explain the choice between lump-sum and per unit payment provisions in private timber-harvesting contracts. Predictions about which contract type minimizes the transaction costs of presale measurement and contract enforcement and monitoring are derived and tested using private timber sales contracts from North Carolina. The empirical results provide strong support for the transaction costs approach and also reject several predictions from a risk-based model. The transaction costs framework also provides insights into the choice between negotiated and competitive sales procedures. Copyright 1991 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 99 (1991)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jonathan Yoder & Ishrat Hossain & Francis Eppin, 2005.
"Contract Duration and the Division of Labor in Agricultural Land Leases,"
- Yoder, Jonathan & Hossain, Ishrat & Epplin, Francis & Doye, Damona, 2008. "Contract duration and the division of labor in agricultural land leases," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 65(3-4), pages 714-733, March.
- Jonathan Yoder & Ishrat Hossain & Francis Epplin & Damona Doye, 2005. "Contract Duration and the Division of Labor in Agricultural Land Leases," Working Papers 2005-5, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Jonathan Yoder & Ishrat Hossain & Francis Eppin & Damona Doye, 2005. "Contract Duration and the Division of Labor in Agricultural Land Leases," Working Papers 2005-6, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Peyton Ferrier, 2009. "Quality improvement through consumer sorting and disposal," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 534-549.
- Zhang, Y., 2001. "Economics of transaction costs saving forestry," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 197-204, February.
- DeVaro, Jed, 2011. "Using "opposing responses" and relative performance to distinguish empirically among alternative models of promotions," MPRA Paper 35175, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McCann, Laura & Colby, Bonnie & Easter, K. William & Kasterine, Alexander & Kuperan, K.V., 2005. "Transaction cost measurement for evaluating environmental policies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 527-542, March.
- Caleman, Silvia Morales de Queiroz & Sproesser, Renato Luiz & Lima Filho, Dario de Oliveira & Trdezini, Cicero Antonio de Oliveira, 2006. "Teoria dos Custos de Mensuracao – algumas validacoes empiricas," 44th Congress, July 23-27, 2006, Fortaleza, CearÃ¡, Brazil 142551, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.