The Characteristics Model, Hedonic Prices, and the Clientele Effect
AbstractIn this paper, the characteristics model of Kelvin Lancaster is reconsidered. It is shown by example that equili brium prices need not be linearly decomposable. It does follow that e quilibrium prices must be a convex function of characteristics, howev er. Further, it is shown that this fact holds independent of the form of firm competition (e.g., perfect or monopolistic). Finally, the pr edictions of the theory are discussed in the context of two empirical examples. Copyright 1988 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 96 (1988)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Levinsohn, J.A., 1989.
"Distance, Demand, And Oligopoly Pricing,"
245, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Levinsohn, J.A., 1989. "Distance, Demand And Oligopoly Pricing," Papers 342, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Levinsohn, J.A., 1989. "Distance, Demand, And Oligopoly Pricing," Papers 89-19, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Robert C. Feenstra & James A. Levinsohn, 1989. "Distance, Demand, and Oligopoly Pricing," NBER Working Papers 3076, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1995.
"Exact Hedonic Price Indexes,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 634-53, November.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Exact Hedonic Price Indexes," Papers 95-11, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995. "Exact Hedonic Price Indexes," NBER Working Papers 5061, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Exact Hedonic Price Indexes," Department of Economics 95-11, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Arguea, Nestor M. & Hsiao, Cheng, 2000. "Market Values of Environmental Amenities: A Latent Variable Approach," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 104-126, March.
- Cox, Larry A. & Gustavson, Sandra G., 1995. "The market pricing of disability income insurance for individuals," Financial Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 109-122.
- Beckhusen, Julia & Mullen, Jeffrey D., 2006. "A Modern Application of Hedonics for Valuing Irrigation," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21189, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Munger, Michael C., 2011. "Persuasion, psychology and public choice," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 290-300.
- Suzanne Scotchmer and Greg Engl., 1992.
"The Core and the Hedonic Core: Equivalence and Comparative Statics,"
Economics Working Papers
92-197, University of California at Berkeley.
- Engl, Greg & Scotchmer, Suzanne, 1996. "The core and the hedonic core: Equivalence and comparative statics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 209-248.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.