Ownership Dynamics and Asset Pricing with a Large Shareholder
AbstractWe analyze the optimal trading and ownership policy of a large shareholder who must trade off diversification and monitoring incentives. Without commitment, the problem is similar to durable goods monopoly: the share price today depends on expected future trades. We show that the large shareholder ultimately trades to the competitive price-taking allocation, even though it entails inefficient monitoring. With continuous trading, the large shareholder trades immediately to this allocation if moral hazard is weak enough that her private valuation of a share is decreasing in her stake. Otherwise, the large shareholder adjusts her stake gradually. We consider implications for asset pricing, IPO underpricing, and lockup provisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 114 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Desai, Sameeksha & Eklund, Johan E. & Högberg, Andreas, 2009.
"Promarket Reforms and Allocation of Capital in India,"
Ratio Working Papers
146, The Ratio Institute.
- Sameeksha Desai & Johan Eklund & Andreas Högberg, 2011. "Pro-market reforms and allocation of capital in India," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 123-139, July.
- Desai, Sameeksha & Eklund, Johan & Högberg, Andreas, 2009. "Promarket reforms and allocation of capital in India," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 206, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Jiang Wang, 2012.
"Market Liquidity — Theory and Empirical Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
18251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Doidge, Craig, 2010. "Does cross-listing facilitate changes in corporate ownership and control?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 208-223, January.
- Henrik Cronqvist & Rüdiger Fahlenbrach, 2009.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Policies,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(10), pages 3941-3976, October.
- Cronqvist, Henrik & Fahlenbrach, Rüdiger, 2007. "Large Shareholders and Corporate Policies," SIFR Research Report Series 60, Institute for Financial Research.
- Cronqvist, Henrik & Fahlenbrach, Rudiger, 2007. "Large Shareholders and Corporate Policies," Working Paper Series 2006-14, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Dhillon, Amrita & Rossetto, Silvia, 2009. "Corporate Control and Multiple Large Shareholders," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 891, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2009.
"Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
14848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, . "Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2009-018, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-180, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Andrzej Skrzypacz & William Fuchs, 2007.
"Bargaining with Arrival of New Traders,"
2007 Meeting Papers
186, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Sprenger, Carsten, 2011. "The choice of ownership structure: Evidence from Russian mass privatization," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 260-277, June.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Santugini, Marc, 2013.
"Firms, shareholders, and financial markets,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 152-164.
- Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, 2008. "Firms, Shareholders, and Financial Markets," Cahiers de recherche 08-05, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée, revised Mar 2013.
- Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, 2011. "Firms, Shareholders, and Financial Markets," Cahiers de recherche 1124, CIRPEE.
- Branko Urosevic, 2001. "Moral hazard and dynamics of insider ownership stakes," Economics Working Papers 787, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2004.
- Hilli, Amal & Laussel, Didier & Van Long, Ngo, 2013. "Large shareholders, monitoring, and ownership dynamics: Toward pure managerial firms?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 666-679.
- Blonski, Matthias & von Lilienfeld-Toal, Ulf, 2008. "Excess returns and the distinguished player paradox," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 78, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.